1050 skat trak torque motor Problems.

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

daddygoose

I have a 86 1050 skat trak that has lost all power on the left set of tires, everythinge else on the machine works fine. Ive pulled off the inspection plate and the chains and sprokets all look good. i can put a socket on the center pulley and it turns both wheels, so i know nothing is stripped on that side. looking at all the linkage inside the machine everything looks good. the machine is up on blocks with all four tires off. i need to determine if its the torque motor or he Hydrostatic pump. whats the best way to trouble shoot either one of these. My thoughts are to build a long hose with a Tee inline and a pressure gage and just bypass the torque motor and see if i get pressure when i try to engage the motor. the torque motor has two large hoses that go the the Pump. and a smaller one that goes to the Oill reservoir. . I have the diagram for this machine so that will be helpful in my trouble shooting. the next question is if it is the motor will the motor just pull out once the four bolts are removed. or will the chain ,gear and brake plate have to be removed. .

jerry

If I understand it right what you would be doing is dead heading the pump which I remember is not ever recommended due to the high pressures that will be created, can you hook up that section of the pump to the other drive motor or switch motors from side to side?

OP
OP
D

daddygoose

If I understand it right what you would be doing is dead heading the pump which I remember is not ever recommended due to the high pressures that will be created, can you hook up that section of the pump to the other drive motor or switch motors from side to side?
that would prove the pump is working. and wouldnt require the gage. thats a good thing about these forums. always another ideal out there. Thanks.

Tazza

Staff member
that would prove the pump is working. and wouldnt require the gage. thats a good thing about these forums. always another ideal out there. Thanks.
Putting a T piece in there will tell you very little. As oil will flow from one hose to the other and show very little pressure. The way to test for pressure is to dead end the hose with a 6,000 PSI gauge. SLOWLY engage the steering lever and bring the pressure up. There are relief valves in the pump that should be about 5,000 PSI. The manuals i have read all says to bring the pressure up slowly, don't just slam it forward or backwards.
With that said, hydraulic oil under these pressures are very dangerous, even more so than the 2,500 odd that your lift/tilt pump generates.
The safer way is to swap drive motors from side to side. Is that an option?
You also mention that you can get the wheels to turn with a bar, is the hydraulic motor still attached? if so, there is a problem right there. When the motor is full of fluid, it will resist moving and takes a lot of force to get it to rotate.

OP
OP
D

daddygoose

Putting a T piece in there will tell you very little. As oil will flow from one hose to the other and show very little pressure. The way to test for pressure is to dead end the hose with a 6,000 PSI gauge. SLOWLY engage the steering lever and bring the pressure up. There are relief valves in the pump that should be about 5,000 PSI. The manuals i have read all says to bring the pressure up slowly, don't just slam it forward or backwards.
With that said, hydraulic oil under these pressures are very dangerous, even more so than the 2,500 odd that your lift/tilt pump generates.
The safer way is to swap drive motors from side to side. Is that an option?
You also mention that you can get the wheels to turn with a bar, is the hydraulic motor still attached? if so, there is a problem right there. When the motor is full of fluid, it will resist moving and takes a lot of force to get it to rotate.
i used a 1 3/4 socket on a breaker bar to turn the center shaft. im gong to have two hoses built so i can actually just take the good side of the hydrostatic pump and put over to the motor in question and do the same with the good motor. that way i can test both the motor and pump. i do know the right side of the machine will work. this seems like the best way to trouble shoot the system. i guess ill also try and turn the working side by hand and see if it gives the same resistance as the bad side since its blocked up. im hoping in all this i find a shered pin on the motor shaft or something simple like that .