10 w30 or hydralic

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

oldgoat

Should be getting rebuilt drive pumps back soon,I have changed all hose and fushed the motors drain the cylinders What kind of lube should be used in the chain cases and in the hydralics thanks. I dont want to put the wrong stuff in it

jerry

I should have said it is an 1830 case uniloader
I see you on heavy equipment forum now and then, there is a thread there that says on the 1845 you should add HTO additive to the hyd oil so I'd call a dealer and find out what the deal is on oil. It did not sound like the additive costs much. May not apply to your machine but would not hurt to find out.

Hotrod1830

I see you on heavy equipment forum now and then, there is a thread there that says on the 1845 you should add HTO additive to the hyd oil so I'd call a dealer and find out what the deal is on oil. It did not sound like the additive costs much. May not apply to your machine but would not hurt to find out.
Hytran Ultra or engine oil plus HTO additive in the hydro's and engine oil in the chain case.

billiards

oil lube has been my vocation for over 30 years....so i might add just in case it be of value in future ....hyd oil has its own plate, most importantly water separation, motor oil water does not separate from it......sample a portion of water and motor oil, shake it up, it become milky.....do the same with hyd. oil, water will fall to bottom.....hyd oil has seal softner, and a few other desirables...either will work, one will work better long term...consider the mfg. rec.

thwerench

I agree with Billiards, long time auto tech here, have mostly considered what the manufacturer wants to see used, just my opinion

cdmccul

I agree with Billiards, long time auto tech here, have mostly considered what the manufacturer wants to see used, just my opinion
What happens when the fluid tech changes though? Engine oil today is very different than 40 years ago. Hydraulic oil is too...

Hard call when you don't have an oil chemist that's been in it for 40 years that can tell you what's changed, AND what properties one fluid has/had over another, and what the manufacturer wanted out of each.

Has hydraulic fluid gained what oil has lost since the manufacturer spec'd the machine?

Mustang Guy

What happens when the fluid tech changes though? Engine oil today is very different than 40 years ago. Hydraulic oil is too...

Hard call when you don't have an oil chemist that's been in it for 40 years that can tell you what's changed, AND what properties one fluid has/had over another, and what the manufacturer wanted out of each.

Has hydraulic fluid gained what oil has lost since the manufacturer spec'd the machine?
Every oil company has what is called a Product Sales Digest. It gives total specifications and applications for all of their lubricating products. These are available from oil distributors, not equipment dealers or parts stores.

cdmccul

Every oil company has what is called a Product Sales Digest. It gives total specifications and applications for all of their lubricating products. These are available from oil distributors, not equipment dealers or parts stores.
Yes... But then what do you do with a manufacturer that called for 10w30, but the oil companies want you to buy hydraulic oil for those applications?

billiards

well have been and made a living for over 30 years in the oil business i would be very mild toward an oil company that would even suggest a switch from motor oil to hyd. oil or vise versa.....each has it own menue and applications.....if an operator was 500 miles from no where, with only one or the other close by yes it will be better thank nothing.

Mustang Guy

Any good hidrawlick oil will have an American Gear Manufacturer's Association (AGMA) rating. I have yet to see any motor oil with such a rating.
Here is an example from a Chevron/Texaco book.
It's been my experience to always go with the oil companies recommendations over equipment manufacturers mandates, as there are always marketing strategies involved. I worked in the oil analysis lab for the 13th Coast Guard district, assisted in the selection of chlorine free oil (CFO) for EMD engines that have silver bearing inserts, plus working with Caterpillar spec lubricants. I'm also a Chief Engineer.

Attachments

• 20230119_213724[1].jpg
    20230119_213724[1].jpg
    378.8 KB · Views: 52
  • 20230119_213758[1].jpg
    20230119_213758[1].jpg
    345 KB · Views: 54