What is best size skid steer for snow removal?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

bigbear

HP, rated capacity? I can't find clearance specs for different models online. I know the more clearance the better, but what would be the minimum desired? Are the bigger skids too big for snow work?

Tazza

Staff member
Just about any modern Skidsteer will have enough power. Some of the early machines were a little underpowered, but would still do the job, only slower as you'd have to ease back on the sticks. I don't believe the big machines would be too big for snow work, the only issue you may have is access, but i'd suspect its mostly for parking lots and driveways? where access isn't a problem. You will have more weight and more power with a larger machine to allow you to do more in less time.
I have never worked with snow, 'm sure others will pop their noses in and give you their thoughts too.

OP
OP
B

bigbear

Just about any modern Skidsteer will have enough power. Some of the early machines were a little underpowered, but would still do the job, only slower as you'd have to ease back on the sticks. I don't believe the big machines would be too big for snow work, the only issue you may have is access, but i'd suspect its mostly for parking lots and driveways? where access isn't a problem. You will have more weight and more power with a larger machine to allow you to do more in less time.
I have never worked with snow, 'm sure others will pop their noses in and give you their thoughts too.
Thanks, I'm looking at buying used ones, so interested in which ones might be too small or underpowered.. James

Venom

Thanks, I'm looking at buying used ones, so interested in which ones might be too small or underpowered.. James
I had a mid 70's M-700 that did a good job with the snow in Minnesota. If it was wet and heavy, I just picked up smaller loads as the heavier ones would cause the bobcat to tip forward. I have a mid 80's 843 that does a GREAT job of handling the Ohio snow - not that we have much at all here. the few times I've had to move over 6" of depth, the loader was more than capable.