Universal Uni-loader not turning

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

inter_e

Hello to all as I am brand new to this site and skid steers. I did some research on this site and can't seem to find a answer to where I am at with this old machine, so any help would be greatly appreciated. I recently got a Universal Uni-loader made in Hudson, Iowa with a Wisconsin VH4D engine serial #4072583 that was handed down to me by my grandfather who died. I want to clean it up a bit, so today I changed the gear box oil, oil and filter change, greased the zirc fittings, and filter and flushed the old hydraulic fluid out that was very milky transmission fluid. It says that it takes type A transmission fluid so it just wasn't changed in forever. I also tightened up some loose bolts on the outer shafts going through the side walls. My problem is that now I can't turn it anymore and it is pretty slow unless I engage the variable speed pulley that also leaks fluid pretty bad every time it engages to the belt. It did turn fine (but was still slow running straight) before I started my work today so it was something that I did. I filled it with enough fluid to the top plug and all of the hydraulic functions are working fine (unless turning is also hydraulic), but I thought that was chains and clutches. I bought a service manual for the Case 1500 Uni-loader which seems to be very similar (and I don't know what model mine is because the model # is gone), but it is not very helpful with troubleshooting. I know this was a long post and this is an old model, but it has a lot of sentimental value and I still want to use it. I would be thankful for any help in getting me back in business. I have a few more questions about upgrading wheels and tires and charging system? Does this 30HP engine have enough juice to dig a foundation with a tooth bucket? But I don't want you guys to hate me yet, so I will wait on those. Thank you again for taking the time to read my post. Steve

HanSolo

I have no experience working on the Case machines but the Bobcat M700 I just sold (after restoring) did have the VH4D motor. If it seems that the engine is loosing power, you may need a rebuild. That's what happened to mine after I got it un-frozen. It worked fairly well for 20-30 hours and then started loosing compression. Get a compression gauge and check each cylinder. You should see 90-120 psi. Perhaps some 600 series owners can assist with the variable speed pulley as those machines had them. I think that unless your soil has a lot of rocks that machine could dig a foundation. It may take longer than a excavator would, but barring any mechanical failures, you'll eventually get it done. OBTW there is a specific section on the forum for Case loaders.

OP
OP
I

inter_e

I have no experience working on the Case machines but the Bobcat M700 I just sold (after restoring) did have the VH4D motor. If it seems that the engine is loosing power, you may need a rebuild. That's what happened to mine after I got it un-frozen. It worked fairly well for 20-30 hours and then started loosing compression. Get a compression gauge and check each cylinder. You should see 90-120 psi. Perhaps some 600 series owners can assist with the variable speed pulley as those machines had them. I think that unless your soil has a lot of rocks that machine could dig a foundation. It may take longer than a excavator would, but barring any mechanical failures, you'll eventually get it done. OBTW there is a specific section on the forum for Case loaders.
HanSolo, Thanks for the info on the Case forum. This machine is actually before Case bought them out for the Universal design, but I would probably get the best info there since they are like Case 1500 series. I think I may have got air in the system if the hydraulics run the steering also. The engine is strong and has great compression. This is something that I did with my hydraulic fluid change because it turned great before I started with my chores on it. I am just learning these machines even though I am a car mechanic. Thanks, Steve

Rodger

HanSolo, Thanks for the info on the Case forum. This machine is actually before Case bought them out for the Universal design, but I would probably get the best info there since they are like Case 1500 series. I think I may have got air in the system if the hydraulics run the steering also. The engine is strong and has great compression. This is something that I did with my hydraulic fluid change because it turned great before I started with my chores on it. I am just learning these machines even though I am a car mechanic. Thanks, Steve
Hi , your post brought back many memories , some good , most bad :) . I had an Universal Uniloader , but had the Ford v-4 engine . It was my 1rst skid steer loader and got me going . I did all types of work for builders with it . I would check the varible speed pulley . If it leaks , the pulley opens back up and it won't move . Mine had a handle to adjust the width . The biggest problem I had was when I stalled it with the variable speed pulley in a higher position . It would take two batteries to overcome the extra drag on the engine . ( sometimes I made it 24 volt to start and retract the pulley , then switch back to 12 volt .. burned many sets of points that way , but was easier than fighting starting it on 12 volts . I carried a point file on the machine . I bet many members won't know what a point file is ??? :) ) That machine did everything that the 1840 I replaced it with . If you don't need something to do more than personal work , it will do anything needed . If you have more work than that , update to something with a diesel and no variable speed pulley . I am trying to remember the model # ... 150 ?