Still Laughing 873

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

DogDiesel

Visted my Richmond VA Bobcat dealer, and bought a few parts, I could not find on eBay or the internet. Asked how much they would charge to do the drive chains. They brought the mechanic out of the back of the shop, and I got this very serious estimate: $8000 to replace chains, rebuild axles bearing abd seals. I politely said that that would not fit in my budget. Using the Bobcat wewbpage, for my serial number, I had made a parts book. Good thing, because I had to show the parts guys the right part number, hand the part they gave me back, tell them to check again, only to get the right part. This really bothers me. While I a good mechanic. A month ago, I knew absolutely nothing about bobcats, other than I could regonized them. I have owned one for less than 2 weeks, and already I can spot the right and wrong parts, and these guys work around them every day and they cannot. Now I was the only customer, so it was not hurried. I needed the bottom drain cover plate. I took one of the parts guy who was slim enough to go out to the yard, look at an 873, and I showed him the part I needed. Then I had to show him that part, on the several pages he printed (which I could not pull up off the internet). Next time I go there, I will I will know exactly what I need, and will not be in a hurry. I am laughing about the estimate, but this scares me. I hope your dealer is better.

antfarmer2

Sorry but true I rebiult my 743 seals bearings and chains my self for a bit over $300.00 take a look at loadersourceparts might have to call some parts I could not find on thier site

^^^^ yea check out that website I purchase parts from there all the time when I can avoid the dealer. Great prices, and service and same parts bobcat offers minus the dealer pricetag. Fast shipping to^^^^^

OP
OP
DogDiesel

DogDiesel

^^^^ yea check out that website I purchase parts from there all the time when I can avoid the dealer. Great prices, and service and same parts bobcat offers minus the dealer pricetag. Fast shipping to^^^^^
I priced the chains, both at the dealer and at loadersourceparts. Both are the about the same price, dealer about $8 per chain higher. I really have found no better deal on the internet. No 873 chains are listed on eBay. On a Bobcat as big as the 873, how do the chains with the master link hold up? Found a write up on the loadersourceparts webpage that provided distinct procedures to place the retainer clip. Good info. The endless chains will make my job a difficulty factor of 10 of 10, but the master link would make it about a 2 of 10 for me. Who has ran master link chains for 3000 or more hours?

Tazza

Staff member
I priced the chains, both at the dealer and at loadersourceparts. Both are the about the same price, dealer about $8 per chain higher. I really have found no better deal on the internet. No 873 chains are listed on eBay. On a Bobcat as big as the 873, how do the chains with the master link hold up? Found a write up on the loadersourceparts webpage that provided distinct procedures to place the retainer clip. Good info. The endless chains will make my job a difficulty factor of 10 of 10, but the master link would make it about a 2 of 10 for me. Who has ran master link chains for 3000 or more hours?
Are you sure you need chains?
If you can get the size of the chain, talk to a bearing/wire rope supplier, they sell it in 10' rolls, go the heavy duty chain and you should be ok.
8k for that repair is steep, it does all take time, but if you are able bodied, it's something you can do your self.

OP
OP
DogDiesel

DogDiesel

Are you sure you need chains?
If you can get the size of the chain, talk to a bearing/wire rope supplier, they sell it in 10' rolls, go the heavy duty chain and you should be ok.
8k for that repair is steep, it does all take time, but if you are able bodied, it's something you can do your self.
I am sure I need one chain. The L/R chain is off or to be correct, does not drive, and locks up the bobcat after forward or rearward about 10 feet. It catches. Every axle seal is leaking and the PO just kept on running it till it stopped. The 873 has 6016 hours. I haven't torn into the chain case yet, I have to rebuild the L/tilt cylinder first. It leaks, and before I add fluid to put the loader up on safety stands (bar), I will fix that leak first. I did check one axle (L/R) and I felt no bearing play. I just wanted to know who is running chains with master links with thousands of hours, or for that matter hundreds with success.

Tazza

Staff member
I am sure I need one chain. The L/R chain is off or to be correct, does not drive, and locks up the bobcat after forward or rearward about 10 feet. It catches. Every axle seal is leaking and the PO just kept on running it till it stopped. The 873 has 6016 hours. I haven't torn into the chain case yet, I have to rebuild the L/tilt cylinder first. It leaks, and before I add fluid to put the loader up on safety stands (bar), I will fix that leak first. I did check one axle (L/R) and I felt no bearing play. I just wanted to know who is running chains with master links with thousands of hours, or for that matter hundreds with success.
There is no reason a master link won't hold up just as well as a one piece chain from the dealer. Just talk to the shop and ensure they are good quality.

farmshop

There is no reason a master link won't hold up just as well as a one piece chain from the dealer. Just talk to the shop and ensure they are good quality.
Bobcat sells master links that you peen over. I was told regular clip style links wouldn't hold up. Not all dealer's are like this. My dealer can pull parts with out looking them up a lot of times.

OP
OP
DogDiesel

DogDiesel

Bobcat sells master links that you peen over. I was told regular clip style links wouldn't hold up. Not all dealer's are like this. My dealer can pull parts with out looking them up a lot of times.
I was told by the dealer that the clips will come off, and thus the chain will lock up. Really emphasized the endless chain is better, and mechanic told me how to install them the hard way, and I have already posted his estimate. On the loader parts source website { http://www.loaderpartssource.com/catalog/product/gallery/id/8372/image/16994/ } it emphasizes how to install the clips so the chain will not come off. After I rebuild my left tilt cylinder and get into the chain case, I will probably still go with the master link chain.

OP
OP
DogDiesel

DogDiesel

I was told by the dealer that the clips will come off, and thus the chain will lock up. Really emphasized the endless chain is better, and mechanic told me how to install them the hard way, and I have already posted his estimate. On the loader parts source website { http://www.loaderpartssource.com/catalog/product/gallery/id/8372/image/16994/ } it emphasizes how to install the clips so the chain will not come off. After I rebuild my left tilt cylinder and get into the chain case, I will probably still go with the master link chain.
"...Bobcat sells master links that you peen over..." FARMSHOP Would you have that part number? I will order on-line, but I really don't want to go back to that dealer.

Tazza

Staff member
"...Bobcat sells master links that you peen over..." FARMSHOP Would you have that part number? I will order on-line, but I really don't want to go back to that dealer.
I really can't see how a master link could come off, they have clips that slide over the pins on the chain, the only way to get them off is to slide it off, if it doesn't touch anything, it can't be pulled off.
As for the master links you peen over, that makes it hard/impossible to put the chain on without removing the sprocket from the axle.

farmshop

I really can't see how a master link could come off, they have clips that slide over the pins on the chain, the only way to get them off is to slide it off, if it doesn't touch anything, it can't be pulled off.
As for the master links you peen over, that makes it hard/impossible to put the chain on without removing the sprocket from the axle.
Sorry no part number. As for installing them the only one i used was on a ffont on a 763 and it was not fun. I would use a cotter pin style link.

OP
OP
DogDiesel

DogDiesel

Sorry no part number. As for installing them the only one i used was on a ffont on a 763 and it was not fun. I would use a cotter pin style link.
I will take a risk and use the master link chains. I have not retired yet, and the one thing I don't have is extra time. I can be done in a day with master-link chains, but the endless link would be time consuming. I can fix most anything, but... AND I am not pretending to be an bobcat expert by any measure, but my very good discussion with the mechanic at the dealer, led me to believe that the endless loop chains raise the bar for dealer mechanics and lead to trade-ins. ____________________________________________________________________________ _______________________ "...I really can't see how a master link could come off, they have clips that slide over the pins on the chain, the only way to get them off is to slide it off, if it doesn't touch anything, it can't be pulled off. As for the master links you peen over, that makes it hard/impossible to put the chain on without removing the sprocket from the axle." TAZZA