Snow Plow Bracing

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Joe 396

Thanks.
Got it, your top bracket is slotted left to right allowing the corner of the blade to raise to adjust to the cross slope.
I see you like painting about as much as I do (I don't mind the painting, I just hate the rust removal and prep to do a good job.) My grader attachment is still in the shop. I needed to do a couple of repairs and my buddy shamed me in painting it with the comment "You already have it taken apart, you might as well paint it." After the degreasing, pressure washing, grinding and needle scaling done a little at a time over the summer, it got too cold to paint it. So I warmed up the shop enough to spray a light coat of quick dry primer on it. It is still resting on dollies in the shop...
TriHonu, I stumbled across this site the other day. WOW!! I can't believe how much info you guys have here. I'm currently trying to make a mount for a plow. I really like your mounts that you made. I have a couple of questions. 1) How has it held up? 2) I noticed the lack of a lift chain. Does it put extra stress on the arms? 3) This is the most important for me. Can you give me some measurements off the brackets? I'd love to copy you if you don't mind. Thanks, Joe

TriHonu

TriHonu, I stumbled across this site the other day. WOW!! I can't believe how much info you guys have here. I'm currently trying to make a mount for a plow. I really like your mounts that you made. I have a couple of questions. 1) How has it held up? 2) I noticed the lack of a lift chain. Does it put extra stress on the arms? 3) This is the most important for me. Can you give me some measurements off the brackets? I'd love to copy you if you don't mind. Thanks, Joe
Just saw your post.
1. It has held up just fine. I qualify this statement with the fact that I don't use it to slam into frozen piles, curbs, etc.
2. No, it puts less stress on the arms than full bucket of dirt. I had a little concern that the attachment plate could bend where the large angle is welded across the plate. The angle has done its job and the plate show no sign of bending.
3. I went out to the shop and dug through my pattern files. (I make cardboard templates for many of my projects.) I found the templates and will try to sketch them and put some dimensions on them. The three sets of holes were placed to allow for specific amounts of float at the cutting edge. So the distance and angle of the holes in relation to the pivot bolt is dependent on the distance from the pivot bolt to the cutting edge.
The other dimension you have to take into account is the how high the plow pivot bolts are supposed to be from the ground (manufactures specs). This will determine the angle of the cutting edge to the ground. If you put the arm pivots too high off the ground, the cutting edge will tend to want to dig in. If set too low, the plow will want to ride up on top of the hard pack. My design allows for float in two directions and still allows you to roll the quick-attach forward to force the cutting edge down as needed.

TriHonu

Just saw your post.
1. It has held up just fine. I qualify this statement with the fact that I don't use it to slam into frozen piles, curbs, etc.
2. No, it puts less stress on the arms than full bucket of dirt. I had a little concern that the attachment plate could bend where the large angle is welded across the plate. The angle has done its job and the plate show no sign of bending.
3. I went out to the shop and dug through my pattern files. (I make cardboard templates for many of my projects.) I found the templates and will try to sketch them and put some dimensions on them. The three sets of holes were placed to allow for specific amounts of float at the cutting edge. So the distance and angle of the holes in relation to the pivot bolt is dependent on the distance from the pivot bolt to the cutting edge.
The other dimension you have to take into account is the how high the plow pivot bolts are supposed to be from the ground (manufactures specs). This will determine the angle of the cutting edge to the ground. If you put the arm pivots too high off the ground, the cutting edge will tend to want to dig in. If set too low, the plow will want to ride up on top of the hard pack. My design allows for float in two directions and still allows you to roll the quick-attach forward to force the cutting edge down as needed.
These pictures are not exactly to scale but should give you a good start.
Mount_Detail3.jpg

Mount_Detail4.jpg

Joe 396

These pictures are not exactly to scale but should give you a good start.
TriHonu, Thank you so much! Those are some pretty detailed drawings. I spoke with a friend yesterday that has a milling machine. We're going to put your plans into action soon. I'll post some pics as I go. Thanks again, Joe

Latest posts