S185 Power Loss

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

BPS

I was grinding stumps today and my machine would really bog down. The RPM's were all over the place, especially when grinding a stump. While grinding, the machine even shut off several times, when it normally wouldn't. Even when the auxillary hydraulics were off the machine was losing power.
The other day I was in a pinch and put some TSC 46 hydraulic oil in the machine. Could that be causing the problems? I think it is definitely a hydraulic problem. It is due for a 250 hour service in about 30 hours...

Kermode

I can't see hyd oil causing the problem. Sounds like a fuel problem to me. Fuel filter? Any codes set when the machine shut down? A stump grinder uses a lot of oil and takes a lot of power. Fuel starvation would be more obvious when the grinder is operating.

skidsteer.ca

I can't see hyd oil causing the problem. Sounds like a fuel problem to me. Fuel filter? Any codes set when the machine shut down? A stump grinder uses a lot of oil and takes a lot of power. Fuel starvation would be more obvious when the grinder is operating.
Yes, if itsnot coding when it dies I'd suspect fuel filter, lift pump or the tank suction hose.
If you're grinding on hi flow then engine is working at full power and fuel demand is maxed
Ken

frogfarmer

Yes, if itsnot coding when it dies I'd suspect fuel filter, lift pump or the tank suction hose.
If you're grinding on hi flow then engine is working at full power and fuel demand is maxed
Ken
I 3rd the motion for the fuel filter my 185 gets pretty weak when the filter plugged.

OP
OP
B

BPS

I 3rd the motion for the fuel filter my 185 gets pretty weak when the filter plugged.
On average, how often do you find the fuel filter needs to be changed? It hasn't been done since its last service at about 75 hours. I'm pushing 225 hours now. I don't need the machine again until Friday. Is there someplace that sells a comparable filter other than the dealer?

frogfarmer

On average, how often do you find the fuel filter needs to be changed? It hasn't been done since its last service at about 75 hours. I'm pushing 225 hours now. I don't need the machine again until Friday. Is there someplace that sells a comparable filter other than the dealer?
I buy my filters at NAPA fuel filter runs about $15 and I change at every oil change. I do my best to open the drain and let any water out about once every week. I very seldom have any fuel problems but when its very dry and dusty I will ocassionally get what looks like mud out of the drain. Its not as thick as mud but the color is similar.