Recommended size Bobcat & attach.'s for tree removal on local terrain

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

John12fv

I'm saving up for a skidsteer, preferably a Bobcat brand. I live in the San Antonio area of Texas, near the hill country. I want to start a business that specializes in lot clearing for residential, commercial, & some agricultural properties as well as general SS work. The soil around here is relatively rocky with many cedar & mesquite trees, & some oaks. The weather here is pretty humid with not a whole lot of rain. I've heard pallet forks work well, I like that they're also a cheaper attach. and/or a stump bucket w grapple. I'd like a 900-series Bobcat given they're size & power, but I've heard they don't accept many attach.'s :/ Given this, what minimum size of Bobcat & what attach.'s would y'all recommend? Also, I'm not deadset on Bobcat, as this will be a starter rig, with which I'd use to work toward a lower-hour front-end loader type tree machine. Thanks for any and all advice.

reaperman

Is your main objective to remove trees? Or any kind of brush involved in land clearing? If you are trying to remove stumps as well as trees, a bobcat of any king may fall short in dealing with stumps. They can be very stubborn, not to mention big. A mini excavator or tractor backhoe, would be better suited for dealing with stumps. In dealing with brush, a brush mower attachment cant be beat. You would want a machine with high flow hydraulics and a brush cutter to match. I really dont see the need for a 900 series machine to do the job. Sometimes more hp's just means you will spin the tires easier and lose traction. A track machine, t250 or t300 would be a better choice in my opinion. They both sport a very powerful motor, but way better traction. And lifting power that would match the 900's. Explore all of your options, and best of luck.

OP
OP
J

John12fv

Is your main objective to remove trees? Or any kind of brush involved in land clearing? If you are trying to remove stumps as well as trees, a bobcat of any king may fall short in dealing with stumps. They can be very stubborn, not to mention big. A mini excavator or tractor backhoe, would be better suited for dealing with stumps. In dealing with brush, a brush mower attachment cant be beat. You would want a machine with high flow hydraulics and a brush cutter to match. I really dont see the need for a 900 series machine to do the job. Sometimes more hp's just means you will spin the tires easier and lose traction. A track machine, t250 or t300 would be a better choice in my opinion. They both sport a very powerful motor, but way better traction. And lifting power that would match the 900's. Explore all of your options, and best of luck.
It'd be used to remove all types of brush. I'd like a T-series machine, but they're out of my budget. I'd go with Grouser type removable tracks for more traction, at least at 1st. What about an excavator attachment? I've heard they're kinda slow, though

vertical

It'd be used to remove all types of brush. I'd like a T-series machine, but they're out of my budget. I'd go with Grouser type removable tracks for more traction, at least at 1st. What about an excavator attachment? I've heard they're kinda slow, though
Hi, I live in Louisiana, and am a residential state contractor. I started my business clearing lots and digging foundations. I lived in San Antonio, (Shertz,Tx) for a number of years and am familiar with the hill country terrain. If it was me starting a business clearing land, I would need to consider a few things. 1.What type/style of equipment is best suited and most economical for clearing lots A dozer is the most effective partnered with a excavator. The challenge with starting a business with this set up is cost. Consider--Equipment costs--- Dozer---Used--case or other--30 to 40k Excavator--used komatsu or other 30-50k Dump truck and tilt trailer---for dirt and debri hauling and transporting equipment--30-40k. As you can see, the startup cost is very high. If you mortgage a house or get a bank loan now you have a large amount of overhead and pressure to keep production and money coming in to make those payments, not to mention maint. and upkeep of equipment. My suggestion is what I did. I purchased a used T300 2004 model with 300hrs. 30k I bought a root grapple from Jordon equipment in Gonzales,Tx. Mr. Jordan is a nice guy and fair. He sold me his extreme root grapple back in 2005 for around $2500. Don't know how much they are now. Don't mess around looking for a better one. The T300 has 80hp and will destroy anything else. Trust me, I did. What I found was that I could remove most roots and brush with 1 pass. It also does a fair job of grading. I Purchased a 16' Anderson dump trailer that I pull behind a 2001 Dodge 4x4 with a cummins engine. Now I did not need a CDL lic. and more ins. for a dump truck with air brakes. I have since added a SC672 stump grinder and other pieces of equipment to my operation. We have steadily grown the business from 35k 1st yr. to 500k this yr. What ever you do, Create a business plan that includes a path for success. Stay away from high overhead. If you don't believe me just ask all of the contractors that have gone out of business. Lastly, do it right. Apply for a state Lic. and get overhead liability and workmens comp. You owe that to yourself, customers, and family. Hope this helps

Terexnorthfl

Hi, I live in Louisiana, and am a residential state contractor. I started my business clearing lots and digging foundations. I lived in San Antonio, (Shertz,Tx) for a number of years and am familiar with the hill country terrain. If it was me starting a business clearing land, I would need to consider a few things. 1.What type/style of equipment is best suited and most economical for clearing lots A dozer is the most effective partnered with a excavator. The challenge with starting a business with this set up is cost. Consider--Equipment costs--- Dozer---Used--case or other--30 to 40k Excavator--used komatsu or other 30-50k Dump truck and tilt trailer---for dirt and debri hauling and transporting equipment--30-40k. As you can see, the startup cost is very high. If you mortgage a house or get a bank loan now you have a large amount of overhead and pressure to keep production and money coming in to make those payments, not to mention maint. and upkeep of equipment. My suggestion is what I did. I purchased a used T300 2004 model with 300hrs. 30k I bought a root grapple from Jordon equipment in Gonzales,Tx. Mr. Jordan is a nice guy and fair. He sold me his extreme root grapple back in 2005 for around $2500. Don't know how much they are now. Don't mess around looking for a better one. The T300 has 80hp and will destroy anything else. Trust me, I did. What I found was that I could remove most roots and brush with 1 pass. It also does a fair job of grading. I Purchased a 16' Anderson dump trailer that I pull behind a 2001 Dodge 4x4 with a cummins engine. Now I did not need a CDL lic. and more ins. for a dump truck with air brakes. I have since added a SC672 stump grinder and other pieces of equipment to my operation. We have steadily grown the business from 35k 1st yr. to 500k this yr. What ever you do, Create a business plan that includes a path for success. Stay away from high overhead. If you don't believe me just ask all of the contractors that have gone out of business. Lastly, do it right. Apply for a state Lic. and get overhead liability and workmens comp. You owe that to yourself, customers, and family. Hope this helps
I would like to recommend a terex pt110 with forestry package. That's a new model. It's a track machine with high flow aux. hydraulics. It would be great for tree removal with a mulcher or brushcutter. If your digging up the stumps, a excavator is the way to go. It would depend on how big the stumps are to size the proper machine. If you are planning to buy from a dealer, either new or used. A good dealer will be able to help with the sizing as well as set up a demo. Just make sure that you are ready to buy so you aren't wasting his time and money.

HanSolo

When I was operating heavy equipment in the San Antonio area back in the 70's, the best piece of equipment for clearing brush and small trees that I operated was a HydroAxe. It was a very complex, large and powerful machine that could obliterate any vegetation up to about 10" diameter trunk. 150 gal. of hydraulic fluid pumper through two large hydraulic drive motors turning a large disk with two rotating 250 lb. tear drop shaped blades. It would throw small logs about 50 yards. The big selling point was that it mulched everything down to the ground and the roots would be so shocked re-growth wouldn't happen. If you could find something like that in good used condition - that beats the heck out of trying to root out small trees. Anything larger is going to require an excavator or dozer anyway.

OP
OP
J

John12fv

When I was operating heavy equipment in the San Antonio area back in the 70's, the best piece of equipment for clearing brush and small trees that I operated was a HydroAxe. It was a very complex, large and powerful machine that could obliterate any vegetation up to about 10" diameter trunk. 150 gal. of hydraulic fluid pumper through two large hydraulic drive motors turning a large disk with two rotating 250 lb. tear drop shaped blades. It would throw small logs about 50 yards. The big selling point was that it mulched everything down to the ground and the roots would be so shocked re-growth wouldn't happen. If you could find something like that in good used condition - that beats the heck out of trying to root out small trees. Anything larger is going to require an excavator or dozer anyway.
Vertical, thanks for the great response, I learned a good amount! I want to start/operate my operation from home and store the equipment at a storage to keep costs down until I save up for a 'dozer, exc. & dumptruck & business (hopefully) picks up enough to warrant a dedicated piece of land w an office to store everything. I plan to start w a setup similar to what you started with. How well would a wheeled SS with removeable tracks perform as a starter since tracked units are out of my current budget as far as I know. Terexfl, a Terex would be sweet as honey but it's out of my starter budget. HanSolo, a HydroAxe would also be epictastic but it's also a ways away for me :/

vertical

Vertical, thanks for the great response, I learned a good amount! I want to start/operate my operation from home and store the equipment at a storage to keep costs down until I save up for a 'dozer, exc. & dumptruck & business (hopefully) picks up enough to warrant a dedicated piece of land w an office to store everything. I plan to start w a setup similar to what you started with. How well would a wheeled SS with removeable tracks perform as a starter since tracked units are out of my current budget as far as I know. Terexfl, a Terex would be sweet as honey but it's out of my starter budget. HanSolo, a HydroAxe would also be epictastic but it's also a ways away for me :/
John, Don't know anything about removable tracks. Couple of guys around here say they help in the wet ground. I would be concerned about the hill country rocks lodging between tire and track. I suggest saving for a skidsteer with tracks. They are very versitile and will make you money. They are easy to move and maint. is manageable. I have wheel machines, front end loader, bobcat s300 but I only use them on black top. They are worthless in dirt work or clearing. Remember Tracks pack and wheels bury. Think out side of the box. Line up 2 or 3 lot clearings, close together if possible. Rent a track machine on a weekly rate thru the weekend and get-er-done. You will make money to start your business and use someone elses machine without maint. costs. Do this a few times and you will be on your way. "I can do all things through christ which strengtheneth me" Be Blessed.