Ramrod Skidsteer 1950 won't shut off

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

RickH

I was working with the skid steer this afternoon and all of a sudden I could not stop it from going forward. I had to hold the levers back as hard as I could so it would at least stop. I kind of held the lever back with my elbow and reached up and turned the key off and it would not turn off. I even pulled the throttle leave all the way back where it normally shuts it totally down. I had to stall it finally by pushing it against a hill and it still wanted to climb the hill. It was using the starter to keep the engine turning over. I finally jumped out and disconnected the battery cable. Prior to this happening I had just finished changing a hydraulic hose that had a leak in it. It had been really jumping around even as I was just feathering the levers. I fooled around with the adjustments on the arms and tension etc. I think the starter even got cooked because it kept the engine turning and I couldn't shut it down. I tried starting it after just to see if it had changed but the stater would just click. I don't know if it just drained the battery as I never got a chance to check it. Any thoughts on what might cause this?? It has a Kubota engine in it. Thanks.

Tazza

Staff member
Its possible your starter relay or starter solenoid got stuck. If they stick in the on position, the starter will keep cranking, but it doesn't explain why it wanted to keep driving forward and needed hauling backwards on the steering levers to get it to stop.....

OP
OP
R

RickH

Its possible your starter relay or starter solenoid got stuck. If they stick in the on position, the starter will keep cranking, but it doesn't explain why it wanted to keep driving forward and needed hauling backwards on the steering levers to get it to stop.....
It was kind of weird, like it was possessed.:0 A couple of times previous when I tried to start it it would want to jerk ahead when I turned the key on. If I pulled back on the lever it would disengage and start normally. I had previously adjusted the lever arms and tension. It would buck like crazy sometimes when i was trying to go slow. I had my elbows braces on the parking brake arms so It wasn't like it was too much movement. Thanks

OP
OP
R

RickH

It was kind of weird, like it was possessed.:0 A couple of times previous when I tried to start it it would want to jerk ahead when I turned the key on. If I pulled back on the lever it would disengage and start normally. I had previously adjusted the lever arms and tension. It would buck like crazy sometimes when i was trying to go slow. I had my elbows braces on the parking brake arms so It wasn't like it was too much movement. Thanks
Turns out it was the solenoid, it cooked the starter and I had to replace both. Pumps were also redone for a grand total of $5,000. Oh Well.

Tazza

Staff member
Turns out it was the solenoid, it cooked the starter and I had to replace both. Pumps were also redone for a grand total of $5,000. Oh Well.
Ouch, but at least its working again.....