Putting a Yanmar 4TNE86 in a Ford CL55

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Tazza

Staff member
Me, it would take a month to dig one out......they have already been sitting since May of 2005!
Saturday, got 8 or 9 stumps out and the machine worked great even in 90+ degree temps. Got a lot done in 3 hours on the thing that day, in fact I am almost half done digiing the back out!
Sunday - nothing got done. The new solenoid burned out! Machine won't start again! Ugh, not sure what to do now. I need help with getting these solenoids wired up so they don't keep burning up. Anyone have any good schematics of fuel shutdown solenoids? I tried with a relay but that didn't help. I still burned out the pull (white wire) circuit.
RJS
Replied to your other thread on this. Use the starter connection to power the pull circuit. When i bought the solenoid, its how the manual advised me to do it. You can get a timer, but it's really nor needed.

OP
OP
R

RJSStamps

Replied to your other thread on this. Use the starter connection to power the pull circuit. When i bought the solenoid, its how the manual advised me to do it. You can get a timer, but it's really nor needed.
Thats how it was wired, White to starter, black to ground, red to ignition switch so it's on when the key is. White should only be active during starting but.....
I found something I am going to try using a seperate solenoid between the starter and relay. I found this one way one solenoid maker suggests with these shutdown solenoids. Now I just need to find a normally open solenoid thats only active while the start circuits engaged. Someone suggested elsewhere my starter solenoid may be "leaking" some voltage and burning up the solenoid.

RJS

SkidRoe

Thats how it was wired, White to starter, black to ground, red to ignition switch so it's on when the key is. White should only be active during starting but.....
I found something I am going to try using a seperate solenoid between the starter and relay. I found this one way one solenoid maker suggests with these shutdown solenoids. Now I just need to find a normally open solenoid thats only active while the start circuits engaged. Someone suggested elsewhere my starter solenoid may be "leaking" some voltage and burning up the solenoid.

RJS
A lot of older Ford cars and trucks used a seperate starter solenoid. These are cheap and plentiful. I have used them for a variety of applications over the years.
HTH,
SR

OP
OP
R

RJSStamps

A lot of older Ford cars and trucks used a seperate starter solenoid. These are cheap and plentiful. I have used them for a variety of applications over the years.
HTH,
SR
Yup, I picked up a S63Z today at Advance and ordered another shut off solenoid and a Woodward 6 wire Coil Commander. The Coil Comander only allows the circuit to be closed for 1.5 seconds so it shouldn't burn up solenoids. One of the Woodward suggestions was using a seperate relay for both starter and Coil Commander, another thing to hopefully keep from burning these soleoids out. It just means running a sperate wire to the second relay for the ignition switch.

SkidRoe

Yup, I picked up a S63Z today at Advance and ordered another shut off solenoid and a Woodward 6 wire Coil Commander. The Coil Comander only allows the circuit to be closed for 1.5 seconds so it shouldn't burn up solenoids. One of the Woodward suggestions was using a seperate relay for both starter and Coil Commander, another thing to hopefully keep from burning these soleoids out. It just means running a sperate wire to the second relay for the ignition switch.
Hey RJSStamps,
When are you going to post some pictures of this beast??? We want see it!!
Cheers,
SR

OP
OP
R

RJSStamps

Hey RJSStamps,
When are you going to post some pictures of this beast??? We want see it!!
Cheers,
SR
lol, not exactly sure, might be tomorrow night or it may be after the 3rd of July. I am having fits with this ISP and their bandwidth restrictions! That in fact is why I haven't been online the past few days. I am going back to DSL as soon as I can get the $$ to do it.
In the meantime the machine was down a couple days as I broke the end off of it trying to dig up a tree stump. Thats one tough tree! It;s been dead since May of 2008 when the tornado took it down but that stump just doesn't want to come out of the ground. It's a Maple I think, or it was the big ole Pine. I remember the thing was close to 60' tall though. Anyway I fixed that issue and a couple other odds and ends and the thing runs even better now.
Discovered that it doesn't take but around 15 gallons to fill it up so that isn't too bad either. I ran it out of fuel the other day and filled it today and it started right up without doing anything, just added fuel and it cranked a few times and fired up.

ejb17

lol, not exactly sure, might be tomorrow night or it may be after the 3rd of July. I am having fits with this ISP and their bandwidth restrictions! That in fact is why I haven't been online the past few days. I am going back to DSL as soon as I can get the $$ to do it.
In the meantime the machine was down a couple days as I broke the end off of it trying to dig up a tree stump. Thats one tough tree! It;s been dead since May of 2008 when the tornado took it down but that stump just doesn't want to come out of the ground. It's a Maple I think, or it was the big ole Pine. I remember the thing was close to 60' tall though. Anyway I fixed that issue and a couple other odds and ends and the thing runs even better now.
Discovered that it doesn't take but around 15 gallons to fill it up so that isn't too bad either. I ran it out of fuel the other day and filled it today and it started right up without doing anything, just added fuel and it cranked a few times and fired up.
RJSS, I know this thread is getting old but do you have any pics? We just got a CL55 barn find that hasnt run in about a year. Got it running buut the engine is the weak link. Did you want to sell the old engine you have? The parts may come in handy for us later on.

OP
OP
R

RJSStamps

RJSS, I know this thread is getting old but do you have any pics? We just got a CL55 barn find that hasnt run in about a year. Got it running buut the engine is the weak link. Did you want to sell the old engine you have? The parts may come in handy for us later on.
Sorry about that folks but I haven't had internet and just now got back online!
As for the old motor, no, it went to a guy in TN who I got the Yanmar from. I would actually suggest using a different engine since parts are really hard to find and if you do find them they are really expensive! like $300 for a USED camshaft!! I got the Yanmar for $1100 and traded the old motor, I also picked it up so I saved shipping too. Worked out well since my father actually lives 20 miles from where I got the thing,
The changes are not too major but I suggest using mid exit exhaust manifold and not a rear exit! It cost $100 to have a machine shop drill and tap the flywheel to match the coupler on the machine. The throttle needs replaced or set up to work with the Yanmar linkage and the fuel shutoff solenoid is a PIA! I finally rigged a manual rod up and use that instead.
Pictures....well I am actually going to be able to get them now that I have a better connection.
RJS

randy4354

Sorry about that folks but I haven't had internet and just now got back online!
As for the old motor, no, it went to a guy in TN who I got the Yanmar from. I would actually suggest using a different engine since parts are really hard to find and if you do find them they are really expensive! like $300 for a USED camshaft!! I got the Yanmar for $1100 and traded the old motor, I also picked it up so I saved shipping too. Worked out well since my father actually lives 20 miles from where I got the thing,
The changes are not too major but I suggest using mid exit exhaust manifold and not a rear exit! It cost $100 to have a machine shop drill and tap the flywheel to match the coupler on the machine. The throttle needs replaced or set up to work with the Yanmar linkage and the fuel shutoff solenoid is a PIA! I finally rigged a manual rod up and use that instead.
Pictures....well I am actually going to be able to get them now that I have a better connection.
RJS
Hi RJSS wonderful repower, great read! How did the electric fans work out? Which combo did you use? What size is your rad? Thx Randy