NEW Bobcat

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

PCSLAWNCARE

NEW to this site too I just got a small s130 bobcat with cab and heat. I will be using it to do snow stacking and side walks. Just wondering what other work could i be biding with this thing so it is making its payment ? i will use it to load my bulk salter load mulch but i would like to get some good billable hours outa it. we do lawn care and snow now (not) any real landscaping .

soutthpaw

The S130 is the replacement model for the 753 series Bobcats. which were probably the most popular model sold... Though in recent years people got obsessed with power/size and the 8 series or 2/300 series have sort of become the standard... That said the 130 will do a lot... just about anything you need it to... Check out the wide assortment of attachments then see what you think can make you money....

soutthpaw

The S130 is the replacement model for the 753 series Bobcats. which were probably the most popular model sold... Though in recent years people got obsessed with power/size and the 8 series or 2/300 series have sort of become the standard... That said the 130 will do a lot... just about anything you need it to... Check out the wide assortment of attachments then see what you think can make you money....
if you are clearing a lot of sidewalks consider a sweeper attachment . Not the bobcat one with the bucket but like a sweepster that throws the snow forward. if you have dry snow (not good in heavy wet snow) it will give you a much cleaner finish than a plow or bucket... you will probably want a set of chains too...

OP
OP
P

PCSLAWNCARE

if you are clearing a lot of sidewalks consider a sweeper attachment . Not the bobcat one with the bucket but like a sweepster that throws the snow forward. if you have dry snow (not good in heavy wet snow) it will give you a much cleaner finish than a plow or bucket... you will probably want a set of chains too...
thank you very much great info i have looked at a few diff things on the bobcat site. I just need to get skilled at grading dirt but doing it right, so it dont look bad or half a$$ when i am done.

skidsteer.ca

thank you very much great info i have looked at a few diff things on the bobcat site. I just need to get skilled at grading dirt but doing it right, so it dont look bad or half a$$ when i am done.
If you do much grading, either for lawns or driveway, you owe it to yourself to try a Harley type rake.
I have the Erskine version and is the best grading attachment I have ever seen. The linkage attaching to the skidsteer removes 1/2 of the bumps and humps with every pass, 2 or 3 trips over and it is flat. The rake also excells at separating sticks and stones, lumps of dirt etc from your fines. You can angle the rake to windrow debris or crown a driveway.
It better then 10 men with rakes.
RHSide.jpg RH Side picture by beyondupnorth

Drum2.jpg Drum picture by beyondupnorth

Ken

remley44

If you do much grading, either for lawns or driveway, you owe it to yourself to try a Harley type rake.
I have the Erskine version and is the best grading attachment I have ever seen. The linkage attaching to the skidsteer removes 1/2 of the bumps and humps with every pass, 2 or 3 trips over and it is flat. The rake also excells at separating sticks and stones, lumps of dirt etc from your fines. You can angle the rake to windrow debris or crown a driveway.
It better then 10 men with rakes.

Ken
Is the harley rake the same thing as a soil conditioner, and what are the differences? thanks cody

TriHonu

yes vary close, Harley is a brand name where soil conditioner is the generic term
Ken, I noticed you added hard surfacing to the drum.
How well does it hold a layer of soil on the drum?
Did you pick up any vibrations from the drum being out of balance?
I've got a Bobcat Soil Conditioner. It works well in the Clay/Silt mix we have here, but the soil has to be almost dry. If the moisture level gets too high, the clay sticks to the drum and the drum wants to stall.

skidsteer.ca

Ken, I noticed you added hard surfacing to the drum.
How well does it hold a layer of soil on the drum?
Did you pick up any vibrations from the drum being out of balance?
I've got a Bobcat Soil Conditioner. It works well in the Clay/Silt mix we have here, but the soil has to be almost dry. If the moisture level gets too high, the clay sticks to the drum and the drum wants to stall.
In certain moisture conditions the soil sticks to the drum, tires and the loader tracks and everywhere. I find if the clay is sticking to the drum, it is sticking everywhere and its time to go home.
Nothing else breaks those hard clay clumps up like a these attachments, but it has to be on the dry side. I also have a Bobcat land plane but it don't see much use.
When the rake was new, the paint wore of the drum in those area between the teeth, so I decided that would be a higher wear area on the drum and hard surfaced the drum to protect it. It likely reduce the effective cut of the tooth and added a little friction to the drum, but I use it to grade driveways too and was concered about wearing the drum thin and cracking it.
When if find the drum stalling it is getting into to tough (virgin clay, etc) and it is time to get out the tiller, or rake the ground with a tooth bucket to loosen it up. I almost always till here first betwen the clays, rock and God knows what else that buried, I rather find it with the tiller.
If I'm just touching up a small rough area, not removing all the sod and reworking the whole lawn, I'll just use the rake to grind off the high spots, but for a complete job I start with the tiller, the ground is just too tough and you have to go so slow with the rake.
It did not change the balance noticably, the rpm is too low imo
Does your Harley rake have the teeth welded in a straight line down the length of the drum?
Eskine spirals theirs so not all the teeth are in the dirt at the same time and as one row is coming out the other is just getting started. I wonder how much smoother this makes the drum run.
Also Harley uses a chain reduction drive where Erskine is direct.
Harley has a smaller drum diameter too.
Finally Erskine uses a 4 link between the rake and the QA plate, which lets the loader bounce up a down between the bumps but seems to keep the drum height fairly consistant, its amazing how well it flattens thing out.
Would be nice to run them side by side to see if there is any difference in performance.
Ken