My 853H restoration project begins...will be looking for some guidance

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

slik rik

just had one in . no pwr at pile. could not drive in lift and tilt without getting dogged. compression within standards. sent pump and injs out. reinstalled . night and day. difference. now shes got some nuts. keep in mind that timining procudre in book is somewhat ambiguous its goining to leave you at tdc. and wont run. trick is use the three oclock marks set to about 17 /18 btdc get the 0 in the hole (oil fill pointer) rotate pump to get yore .020. shell be good
Well if you pull the motor be sure to change the fuel pickup while your there....it tends to rot out and drop leaving a no pickup situation. its a real pain to install the new pickup with the motor in, can be done but extremely frustrating to get to, esp. if your arms are big. hint do some yoga before trying because your gonna be under there for a while moving contorting....and cursing ALOT

OP
OP
kilohertz

kilohertz

Well if you pull the motor be sure to change the fuel pickup while your there....it tends to rot out and drop leaving a no pickup situation. its a real pain to install the new pickup with the motor in, can be done but extremely frustrating to get to, esp. if your arms are big. hint do some yoga before trying because your gonna be under there for a while moving contorting....and cursing ALOT
I gave the machine a break for a few days..had some other work to do. I'll get back on it next week.
Thanks for the info on timing and tank pickup tube. Tazza, I'll have a look at the valve block to see if there is anything to adjust on mine. Didn't see anything in the manual but I will check again.
Thanks all!

Mikefromcny

I put in the new starter, completely disconnected all electrical from the machine, centered the sticks, put in fresh fuel, replaced the missing hydraulic hose, topped up the hydraulic resevoir...and got ready to fire it.
I simply connected 12v to the IP solenoid, and cranked it with a hot wire, nothing else connected. I just wanted to see if it would run....it didn't. Made sure the lines were purged of air, cracked the injector lines and let the bubbles clear while cranking, tighetend them down and still nothing. Finally decided on a little breath of ether to see if I had compression and sure enough she coughed, and a few more cranks and away she went...ran nice for about 2 seconds then immediately took off full bore, wide open run away it's gonna explode type fast...that was scary...thank the good Lord I had the forsight to disconnect the air intake pipe at the manifold and I had a tennis ball ready to stuff in it, which I did and it shut right down. Even pulling the IP power wire off wouldn't stop it. After I cought my breath, I started it again, with tennis ball in hand, this time when she caught and showed signs of takeoff, I used the tennis backk to modulate the input air and was able to control the RPM, crude, but it worked the engine ran just fine, no knocks or bad noises, just LOTS of black smoke. Let it idle for about a minute hoping it might clear itself but it didn't...it still wanted to run away if I removed the tennis ball. If I cut the power to the IP while it was running mid speed, say 1800 RPM or so, the engine would quit, if it was running at high RPM, around 3000, removing the power to the IP wouldn't kill the engine, the tennus ball was required to block the air to shut it down.
So, I have an excess fuel problem....anyone know if there is a common failure mode in the IP? Seals, govenor, anything else? Don't know where else the fuel would be coming from.
Help! Your thoughts?
cheers
Nice work on the 853. I just picked up a sad 853 myself that was used in a scrap yard. Its hemmoraging hyd oil out of the pump, but runs and moves. Where are you located in Canada?

OP
OP
kilohertz

kilohertz

Nice work on the 853. I just picked up a sad 853 myself that was used in a scrap yard. Its hemmoraging hyd oil out of the pump, but runs and moves. Where are you located in Canada?
HI Mike, I am in the Okanagan valley, north of Kelowna> Now dealing with another problem..engine oil pan has a leak right in the bottom of the pan. Probably going to have to pull the engine to fix it...but looking for options. Cheers

Mikefromcny

HI Mike, I am in the Okanagan valley, north of Kelowna> Now dealing with another problem..engine oil pan has a leak right in the bottom of the pan. Probably going to have to pull the engine to fix it...but looking for options. Cheers
I think you'll have to pull the engine, which isn't supposed to be too bad of a job. A friend yanked the 853's engine out to change the rear main seal and said it wasn't too hard. Might want to replace your front and rear crank seal while your in there.

Greasemonkey

Looks like we're not too far away from each other. I'm in Savona, and completely ripping apart an S150 that worked at the smelter in Trail.

Latest posts