Mustang 940 starts hard

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

cwh

I recently bought a Mustang 940 with the Yanmar 4TN82E. When starting, it will turn over and fire, but not start. If you keep the key in the start position, it will fire (but not start/run) repeatedly. It has a new outer air filter, but I am waiting on the inner safety filter to get shipped to Alaska. If you give it a tiny squirt of starting fluid (I know... ) it starts right up. The guy I bought it from said it probably needs a lift pump, which made sense to me. I have one on order. Any other thoughts?

OP
OP
C

cwh

Well, I put the new lift pump in, and nothing has changed.... I got word that my new air filter is in today, so I'll see if that does it.

dkmc

Well, I put the new lift pump in, and nothing has changed.... I got word that my new air filter is in today, so I'll see if that does it.
Does it have glow plugs and are they all working? Sadly, it is more likely to be worn rings and valves lowering compression than the air filter.....

OP
OP
C

cwh

Does it have glow plugs and are they all working? Sadly, it is more likely to be worn rings and valves lowering compression than the air filter.....
It has a grid heater, no glow plugs. I will probably break down buy a gauge and do a compression test. Oh well - minus the lift pump, I wanted to start with new filters all around anyway.

Latest posts