Mustang 1200

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

upnorthdad

Hi all, I have an old Owatonna Mustang 1200. I have had it for a few years now and it has served me well for fooling around on my 6 acres and plowing snow. No it has a problem. It will start up o.k. but when it gets at operating temp. it will quit on me. This will happen in the summer and winter. I have changed the fuel filter. I have taken the fuel pump off and it still seems to have suction. Does anyone have any idea what is causing it to die after its warm? Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks Dave

jerry

If it is gas engine I would check for spark next time it dies. Could be the coil or condenser. Both will give trouble when they get warm if they are bad.

jerry

A good sign of a bad coil is if after sitting and cooling a bit it will restart. You must check for spark as soon as it dies so just keep a extra plug handy in the machine to stick on a plug wire.

OP
OP
U

upnorthdad

A good sign of a bad coil is if after sitting and cooling a bit it will restart. You must check for spark as soon as it dies so just keep a extra plug handy in the machine to stick on a plug wire.
Jerry, thanks so much, for what it goes I will get a new condenser and coil. Any idea where I can order online? Also, forgot to mention once it dies, I usually can get it started (hard) on choke to get it back to the garage very slowly..... so with that do you still think it's electrical? Thanks Dave

antfarmer2

Jerry, thanks so much, for what it goes I will get a new condenser and coil. Any idea where I can order online? Also, forgot to mention once it dies, I usually can get it started (hard) on choke to get it back to the garage very slowly..... so with that do you still think it's electrical? Thanks Dave
I agree with the coil but from what you say now I would try loosen the fuel cap and look for other fuel restictions

OP
OP
U

upnorthdad

I agree with the coil but from what you say now I would try loosen the fuel cap and look for other fuel restictions
Thanks, but I don't have a fuel cap.... one side it duct tape and the other side I use a rag cause I lost the caps long ago..... I thought that maybe the tank was dirty but then I don't see the filter dirty..... so I'm thinking maybe the tank is o.k. Thanks dave

antfarmer2

Thanks, but I don't have a fuel cap.... one side it duct tape and the other side I use a rag cause I lost the caps long ago..... I thought that maybe the tank was dirty but then I don't see the filter dirty..... so I'm thinking maybe the tank is o.k. Thanks dave
I would take a closer look at the tank maybe some of your tape or rag is pluging the bootom of the tank fuel hole and buy a fire ext for your rolling bomb

antfarmer2

I would take a closer look at the tank maybe some of your tape or rag is pluging the bootom of the tank fuel hole and buy a fire ext for your rolling bomb
Also when it is trying to die spray some wd40 around the outside of the carb might be heating up and leaking gasket if it starts to run better you found it

jerry

Also when it is trying to die spray some wd40 around the outside of the carb might be heating up and leaking gasket if it starts to run better you found it
I had a tractor that ran like that and after coil,condensor and new carb it turned out to be a butterfly floating over the exit hole inside the tank now and then.

frank b

Float like a butterfly sting like a bee lmao
Try removing and disassembling the fuel pump, if its like the one on my JD170 with the wisconsin engine, there are two check valves inside. They pop in like freeze plugs. Mine would stall and run lean once it was warmed up and it turned out that one of those check valves fell out allowing only fuel vapor into the carb causing the lean condition. After fixing the pump it's fine.