mustang 1200 Flywheel / starter problems

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

gfarr51

Still trying to fix this issue with the starter not engaging the flywheel. Tried shimming the starter which did get it closet but not completely - I run out of bolt with too many shims! Could it be the flywheel? because it is missing many of the fins. Its a VH4D Wisconsin. And, if so, where is a good resource for these older (1974) engines? ANY help or direction would be great.

brdgbldr

Still trying to fix this issue with the starter not engaging the flywheel. Tried shimming the starter which did get it closet but not completely - I run out of bolt with too many shims! Could it be the flywheel? because it is missing many of the fins. Its a VH4D Wisconsin. And, if so, where is a good resource for these older (1974) engines? ANY help or direction would be great.
This is a long-shot, but see if you can use a pry bar or something to check and see if the flywheel/crank move side to side. I just watched a video of a guy that had the same problem with a starter and engine and it ended up being the main bearings were shot. The flywheel was at too much angle for the starter to engage.

It was amazing because he got the engine running several times before it finally blew something. Then he dug into the engine and found the problem.

OP
OP
G

gfarr51

This is a long-shot, but see if you can use a pry bar or something to check and see if the flywheel/crank move side to side. I just watched a video of a guy that had the same problem with a starter and engine and it ended up being the main bearings were shot. The flywheel was at too much angle for the starter to engage.

It was amazing because he got the engine running several times before it finally blew something. Then he dug into the engine and found the problem.

OP
OP
G

gfarr51

Have never tried to move the flywheel in that direction, from side to side. Will try that first thing in the morning. Thanks. Its worth a shot.

brdgbldr

Have never tried to move the flywheel in that direction, from side to side. Will try that first thing in the morning. Thanks. Its worth a shot.
If it moves in any direction, more than spec, it's shot.

T-rustyfix

VH4D engines were popular in farm equipment and generators. Maybe you can find something in a scrapyard?

Firefighter

Rock Creek Consulting, Woodbury Pa. Tim Stine 814-766-3675 Can Fix You Up With Whatever You Need For That Engine

2bobcats

Rock Creek Consulting, Woodbury Pa. Tim Stine 814-766-3675 Can Fix You Up With Whatever You Need For That Engine
Do you have the right starter. The starter nose piece length is different for a skid steer engine than for a general purpose vh4d.

OP
OP
G

gfarr51

Thank you for the question, unfortunately the starter is the original equipment. I wish it was that easy of a fix. Ive been at this since February and no closer. We are getting into the season where I can really put it to use.

2bobcats

I don't see the original question. Did you ever have it running. Is the hydraulic pump run with the distributor next to it. If not you have an agricultural engine which has the shorter nose and a separate starter solenoid. Good luck
If you are on Facebook you could use this group as another resource. https://www.facebook.com/groups/960608847332122/

Also, not sure where in the midwest you are, but here is a flywheel on marketplace in Wisconsin dells. I'm in Minnesota myself and have a 1200a I got from just over the border in Iowa last year. https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/2004348069966893/?ref=search