Mustang 1200 Variable Drive Help!

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

matthause

First off, greetings and thanks in advance to all who read this as it is my first post. I just purchased an older (70s) OMC Mustang 1200. The hydraulic primary clutch wobbles and spews fluid very badly. I am wondering if anyone has any experience with a similar problem. If it can be rebuilt, and if the machine is worth the effort. FYI 3300 hours, hydros work good and engine seems to run fine. Thanks.

Bryan

Hello I have a 1700 that had the same set up first off oil on the belt not good I have ruined several new belts (only a few hours on them) if the clutchs wobbles the clutch and the shaft are wore some parts are no longer available or very $$ 700$ for the cylinder in the clutch alone and this was several years ago I use mine daily for feeding my dairy heard so I replaced the belt with chain (only one speed but dependable) I used taper lock hubs on both sprockets to ensure tight fit. only problem I have to replace chain often I have thought about useing motorcycle chain but have not tryed it yet . Good luck Bryan P S they don't have hydros they are a clutch drive

OP
OP
M

matthause

Hello I have a 1700 that had the same set up first off oil on the belt not good I have ruined several new belts (only a few hours on them) if the clutchs wobbles the clutch and the shaft are wore some parts are no longer available or very $$ 700$ for the cylinder in the clutch alone and this was several years ago I use mine daily for feeding my dairy heard so I replaced the belt with chain (only one speed but dependable) I used taper lock hubs on both sprockets to ensure tight fit. only problem I have to replace chain often I have thought about useing motorcycle chain but have not tryed it yet . Good luck Bryan P S they don't have hydros they are a clutch drive
Thanks for the replies, Bryan i have thought of doing something similar worst case! Nice to hear it somewhat worked out for you. A 520 motorcycle chain would be very strong for that application.

OP
OP
M

matthause

Thanks for the replies, Bryan i have thought of doing something similar worst case! Nice to hear it somewhat worked out for you. A 520 motorcycle chain would be very strong for that application.
Also not to sound like a total newbie but are there clutches for right and left forward?

IndianaJohn

hello two clutch packs on each side one forward one reverse , under cover with all the bolts on each side , Bryan
I know this is a long shot since this is such an old topic, but if you are still on the forums Bryan, I would really like to talk to you about your chain drive conversion. Can't seem to find any way to PM someone on here.