Mini older skid steers

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Sgreene

Guy I am brand new to this forum... I have been looking at some small or mini skid steers for use around my acreage mainly snow removal little dirt here and there I won't be making a living with it. I have come across a nice little Bobcat 371 and a couple case 1825 that seem to be reasonably priced. I have questions about the parts availability for these machines. I got myself into a pickle with the eighties Wheel Horse that Hydro units cannot be located. I'm afraid with these older machines I'm going to encounter the same thing. I understand that 371 is from the seventies and has mechanical Drive clutches Etc. What do I need to look at all these models or should I stay away from them. I'm just deathly afraid I'll end up with an expensive boat anchor.

6brnorma

I have a number of the belt/clutch drive machines. They are not hard to work on……but……..in all honesty they can become a real 'money pit' if you have problems. Not all parts are available and the 371 is a very small machine. I can't speak to the 1825. If I were starting out today, I would look for a newer model hydrostatic machine……..little more money, stronger and more reliable…(read, not 40+ years old). I can't recommend one but maybe Tazza or BobcatDan will come along and have some recommendations.

SkidRoe

Our first machine back in the 80's was a 371, we bought it primarily for cleaning out box stalls in our dairy barn. It worked well, was reliable and practically bullet proof, way better than a manure fork.
We replaced it in '92 with a new 440b, same machine that I own today. Hydrostatic drive is a huge step forward in technology and ability. As far as mini-machines go, the 4XX/S70 series would still be my choice if I were in the market for one.
Bobcat parts availability does not seem to be an issue with any of these machines, and gas powered ones are easy to repower if the engine is bad/wore out.
My $0.02 - SR

jackaustin

Guy I am brand new to this forum... I have been looking at some small or mini skid steers for use around my acreage mainly snow removal little dirt here and there I won't be making a living with it. I have come across a nice little Bobcat 371 and a couple case 1825 that seem to be reasonably priced. I have questions about the parts availability for these Boleo mini skid steer. I got myself into a pickle with the eighties Wheel Horse that Hydro units cannot be located. I'm afraid with these older machines I'm going to encounter the same thing. I understand that 371 is from the seventies and has mechanical Drive clutches Etc. What do I need to look at all these models or should I stay away from them. I'm just deathly afraid I'll end up with an expensive boat anchor.
Lately, I have been looking at Mini Skid steers to bridge some gaps that I have between my Kubota BX25 tractor and Excavator. I have never operated one, and would like to hear from those who have to see if they are working pursuing.

thwerench

I've also had a 440B for years. It's been a very reliable fun little machine for getting in the barn and doing odd little things around the yard for the wife where the bigger heavier S650 would just make a mess

foton

depending on how small you need there is the stand on machines , as the toro dingo style

Latest posts