MD70 - fuel pump issues

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

roblarss

I am noticing that recently I am most likely having a fuel pump issue. Drop in power, sometimes the rpm wont go past 50%. I cleaned the inline filter and the one on the pump, proved the fuel lines aren't plugged. Took the pump apart and found the plastic check plungers are pitted. I have also noticed that the fuel return line off the injector pump isn't flowing anything. This is the pump in question. https://fuel-inject.com/supply/zexel.1052204742-bosch.9440610030/ Since I cant locally find parts I am looking at putting in an electric pump and just bypass the mechanical one. Is there a pressure rating I should look for. I have found pump that put out 5psi and some 10-12 psi. Same as different flow numbers. Does the injector pump function fine with a different inlet pressure? What have others done. Thanks

Tazza

Staff member
Inlet pressure shouldn't alter injector pressure.
Have you changed the filter to be sure it's not plugged causing fuel starvation?

OP
OP
R

roblarss

Inlet pressure shouldn't alter injector pressure.
Have you changed the filter to be sure it's not plugged causing fuel starvation?
I didnt think the pressure would matter, but figured I would check. I have an inline filter that is clean. The screen on the inlet nipple of the pump is clean. Tonight i took the pump apart. Not much to it. its pretty clean but I washed it in some cleaner. The check plungers had some pitting, I polished them up on some fine emery. It is better but not by much. The hand pump seems to put out pressure but mechanical plunger wont keep up. I think the metal plunger in the body is worn. Seems difficult to find parts kits for these. I might just order a 12v pump online...searched the town I live in today and only found one store with a 3/8" 12v fuel pump...$160...amazon it is.

Tazza

Staff member
I didnt think the pressure would matter, but figured I would check. I have an inline filter that is clean. The screen on the inlet nipple of the pump is clean. Tonight i took the pump apart. Not much to it. its pretty clean but I washed it in some cleaner. The check plungers had some pitting, I polished them up on some fine emery. It is better but not by much. The hand pump seems to put out pressure but mechanical plunger wont keep up. I think the metal plunger in the body is worn. Seems difficult to find parts kits for these. I might just order a 12v pump online...searched the town I live in today and only found one store with a 3/8" 12v fuel pump...$160...amazon it is.
A long shot, is there some sort of bleed screw on the pump? Kubota engines have a screw on the pump that you open to allow fuel to pass from the pump to the tank through the tap off lines on each enjector. If it's open, it could allow fuel to not build up pressure.
An inline fuel pump isn't a bad idea.

OP
OP
R

roblarss

A long shot, is there some sort of bleed screw on the pump? Kubota engines have a screw on the pump that you open to allow fuel to pass from the pump to the tank through the tap off lines on each enjector. If it's open, it could allow fuel to not build up pressure.
An inline fuel pump isn't a bad idea.
There is no bleed screw. I unhooked the outlet line and when cranking there is a little fuel flow, but not enough. if I hand pump it it fills the line. I just ordered a basic 12v fuel pump off amazon. Now Ill have to look at how to wire it so the pump runs during crank and run. Possibly a relay or a couple of diodes. Should be able to wire the relay off the 12v latch for the fuel solenoid and the other side off the 12v pull from the solenoid. Those are close by.

Tazza

Staff member
There is no bleed screw. I unhooked the outlet line and when cranking there is a little fuel flow, but not enough. if I hand pump it it fills the line. I just ordered a basic 12v fuel pump off amazon. Now Ill have to look at how to wire it so the pump runs during crank and run. Possibly a relay or a couple of diodes. Should be able to wire the relay off the 12v latch for the fuel solenoid and the other side off the 12v pull from the solenoid. Those are close by.
I'd hook it up to the hold coil on the fuel shut off solenoid, when the key is turned on, it should be powered.
There will be other switched power lines too, you will just need to find them.

OP
OP
R

roblarss

I'd hook it up to the hold coil on the fuel shut off solenoid, when the key is turned on, it should be powered.
There will be other switched power lines too, you will just need to find them.
Finally got a pump, wired into the hold solenoid and seems to run decently. Still seems low on power but its better.