Lx565 major milky hydro leak

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

mhs1492

I'm in Indiana and my 97' lx565 stays outside year round. After sitting most of the winter I started it and let it warm up. After just a few minutes of use the trans/hyd temp light and the trans charge pressure light both lit up and the machine died. I climbed out to investigate and noticed a major leak coming from the bottom right rear. It started right back up and I was able to move it out of the the drive, but yellow milky fluid continued to drain out for a while after the machine was shut down. No control at all of the boom and but the transmission will jerk a little bit when engaged. There was a thin stream of fluid on the ground from where it was warming up to where I noticed the major leak. Certainly seems to be water mixed in with the fluid and I assume that it has frozen as well. Nothing seems very accessible in the current state. I'm wondering if maybe the reservoir tank cracked, or how to diagnose. Looking for insight. Thanks!

mrbb

sounds like water got into the system, I would suggest draining system as best you can, as till you remove the water your not going to operate things well

and the longer the water sits in the system, the more damage it can do, from rusting parts, to freezing and possibility pushing out seals or??
and odds are you will NOT get all the water out in ONE fluid change
which means, a second or third change in the near future IMO
I would also try and figure out how water got in the system
I know on some of the older NEW Holland machines, the hydraulic tanks, the design of them was poor,(it was like a funnel that was supposed to drain water out, BUT?
they had a cork or rubber seal on the cap, to seal it from things, but that over time, dried and allowed water to drain into the tank, I knew many that to prevent this, started placing a container over the whole fill section, to keep water out! , simple fix, but not 100% on your set up, but it could be one!

foton

you are wondering right if the oil and water seperated and then the water freezed up and broke something or pushed out a seal causing the leak. lift the cab and look for wet spots. maybe time when you get it fixed to find it some shelter to minimize this from happening again.

mrbb

have a look at this video, if your tank lid is the same, (as I said in above post)
this is a know way water gets into system
its at the 4;40 mark in video, he explains and shows simple solution

Latest posts