LS170, 5 Volt after activating seat switch

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

tinystech

I have an LS170 & LS160 New Holland so I can test with the other machine. I believe both are in the 2002 year range. The LS170 a few weeks ago would not turn over or click and the lights on the EIC were dim. The battery was 6 years old so I just ran out and bought a new one, cleaned both positive and negative cables to the starter and bell housing and checked the ground cable from starter to frame. It was working great until two weeks later I hop in it and the Dash was Dim again. I put the RUN/SERVICE switch into Service position and turned the key with nothing happening, not even the EIC would light up. Flipped it back into the RUN position while sitting in the seat, dash was dim again and no clicking or fuel pump when I turn the ignition, just the EIC lights go really dim. I checked the 5amp and 15 amp fuses in the engine compartment and the 5 amp fuse next to the RUN/SERVICE switch. They are all good. Seat Switch and belt buckle switch have 12 volt at them along with everything else in the system. What I noticed is when the seat switch is activated it drops form 12 volts down to 5 volts along with the Red/White wire at the ignition switch and the main fuse block in the engine compartment. once I deactivate the seat switch everything goes back to 12 Volt. Could this be the Interlock Relay? If not what should I check? I have a service manual. Thank you so very much in advance as our farm cannot afford to ship this machine off to the dealer right now so I am willing to troubleshoot all week if I have to. This machine has 4100 hours on it.

OP
OP
T

tinystech

I did somehow get the EIC to light up fully and act normal two times. When I turn the key on then it goes back to dim and stays dim even if I get off the seat and back on again. Randomly this has happened while testing wires and looking for shorts in different parts of the machine.

Mike10

I did somehow get the EIC to light up fully and act normal two times. When I turn the key on then it goes back to dim and stays dim even if I get off the seat and back on again. Randomly this has happened while testing wires and looking for shorts in different parts of the machine.
Did you check voltage at the battery when the lights are dim? You may have a bad connection at the battery, starter, or the start relay. The start relay is the one to the outside right below the engine fuse and relay box. The problem is not related to operator restraint circuits, seat switch and seat belt, if you are low on voltage at the key switch. Power starts at the battery, then to the starter, then to the start relay mentioned above, then to a common terminal on the cold start circuit breaker, then to the fuse block and from the 15 a fuse to the key switch. You could also have a corroded fuse terminal. Just find where your voltage is dropping.

OP
OP
T

tinystech

Did you check voltage at the battery when the lights are dim? You may have a bad connection at the battery, starter, or the start relay. The start relay is the one to the outside right below the engine fuse and relay box. The problem is not related to operator restraint circuits, seat switch and seat belt, if you are low on voltage at the key switch. Power starts at the battery, then to the starter, then to the start relay mentioned above, then to a common terminal on the cold start circuit breaker, then to the fuse block and from the 15 a fuse to the key switch. You could also have a corroded fuse terminal. Just find where your voltage is dropping.
I do in fact have 12 volts at the battery. I will manually get the boom raised and follow the path laid out. Your explanation far exceeds the service manual :)

jm2012

old thread but did you happen to find a solution to this problem. I am having the same issue and have tried a bunch of different fixes with no luck