L555 wont start after fuel filter change

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

JohnDV

They say no good deed goes unpunished. I thought it would be a good idea to change out my inline fuel filter and cartridge fuel filter. It's my first time so I did read up on it. After changing the fuel filter I loosened the bleeder screw at the cartridge filter turned the key on until I seen fuel coming out. Now my engine just turns over and maybe a couple puffs of black smoke. After reading other post I decided to crack open the fuel lines at the top of the injectors. Seems like I only get a dribble of fuel out of one line. Machine was running fine before I serviced it. Any thoughts?

antfarmer2

On the top of the main fuel filter is there a plug on it to let the air out? Also did you shut the bleeder valve after bleeding?

OP
OP
J

JohnDV

On the top of the main fuel filter is there a plug on it to let the air out? Also did you shut the bleeder valve after bleeding?
On top of the main fuel filter I see two bolts. 1.) The filter holder bolt. 2.) The bleeder bolt. I don't see a plug to let the air out and yes I tighten back the bleeder bolt on top of the main fuel filter. (Looking for a service manual for this one) Thanks

antfarmer2

On top of the main fuel filter I see two bolts. 1.) The filter holder bolt. 2.) The bleeder bolt. I don't see a plug to let the air out and yes I tighten back the bleeder bolt on top of the main fuel filter. (Looking for a service manual for this one) Thanks
Ok that was it is there a bleeder valve by the fuel pump?....... what kind of engine is it

antfarmer2

Ok that was it is there a bleeder valve by the fuel pump?....... what kind of engine is it
Also see if you knocked the connection off the fuel solinoid loose the connectors of the injectors and crank it till the air is out tighten then run it about half untill it runs smooth

antfarmer2

Also see if you knocked the connection off the fuel solinoid loose the connectors of the injectors and crank it till the air is out tighten then run it about half untill it runs smooth
I think you might find a little round valve by the injector pump that bleeds to

jerry

You could always try the backwoods method too, turn the air compressor down to maybe 15 pounds and take the fuel cap off , wrap something around the air nozzle and pressurize the tank for a bit. I see where that worked for one guy. Kind of a last ditch thing though.

jerry

You could always try the backwoods method too, turn the air compressor down to maybe 15 pounds and take the fuel cap off , wrap something around the air nozzle and pressurize the tank for a bit. I see where that worked for one guy. Kind of a last ditch thing though.
15 lbs may be too much if a plastic tank , just do it carefully.

OP
OP
J

JohnDV

antfarmer2, thanks. I'm not sure where the fuel solenoid is... Also I do have the little bleeder at the injector pump. (counter clock-wise to bleed, then clock-wise shut when done)

antfarmer2

antfarmer2, thanks. I'm not sure where the fuel solenoid is... Also I do have the little bleeder at the injector pump. (counter clock-wise to bleed, then clock-wise shut when done)
Ok do the one at the filter first then open the one by the injector crank it to bleed if it starts shut it and off you go

OP
OP
J

JohnDV

Do you have a smushy ball to help prime?
Ok. I don't have a smushy ball in fuel line to help prime. I'll rebleed at the filter and try, then open the bleeder at the injector pump and try again if that doesn't work. Just turned the heater on in the garage. I'll let you know what happens.

Ivan

Ok. I don't have a smushy ball in fuel line to help prime. I'll rebleed at the filter and try, then open the bleeder at the injector pump and try again if that doesn't work. Just turned the heater on in the garage. I'll let you know what happens.
Start at the tank and open the screw on the filter until air is gone then go to the pump. Make sure you have no leaks on the new filter and make sure the screw on the filter is tight. I just did mine this fall

antfarmer2

Start at the tank and open the screw on the filter until air is gone then go to the pump. Make sure you have no leaks on the new filter and make sure the screw on the filter is tight. I just did mine this fall
All good yet?

OP
OP
J

JohnDV

All good yet?
antfarmer2, jerry and Ivan, thanks for your help. I got her back working. It was cold here -10 so didn't get back out there until I got the garage heated up today. After trying to bleed the fuel lines and start the machine with no luck, I started tracing fuel flow from the new filter. The first stop, the hose from the filter was getting no fuel when I turned my pump on. Turns out I had put the fuel filter gasket on wrong, I had no leaks but I blocked the filter top outlets. I should have followed the KISS method here. After seating the top gasket in the fuel filter holder properly, she started after a few tries. I actually learned a lot thanks for all your help.

OP
OP
J

JohnDV

antfarmer2, jerry and Ivan, thanks for your help. I got her back working. It was cold here -10 so didn't get back out there until I got the garage heated up today. After trying to bleed the fuel lines and start the machine with no luck, I started tracing fuel flow from the new filter. The first stop, the hose from the filter was getting no fuel when I turned my pump on. Turns out I had put the fuel filter gasket on wrong, I had no leaks but I blocked the filter top outlets. I should have followed the KISS method here. After seating the top gasket in the fuel filter holder properly, she started after a few tries. I actually learned a lot thanks for all your help.
Checked new filter for leaks after running for about 10min.
20140106_153103.jpg

Now I can finally get some good use out of this machine!
20140107_172029.jpg

Latest posts