L555 Boom locked

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

AndyDWA

EDIT: Problem "solved" - see end comment

I've had this 1990 L555 Deluxe for around 2 years and it generally behaves well. Yesterday, one of the headlights popped out when I hit a small tree branch. I left it hanging while I headed back to its parking area. With engine running, I turned ignition key to centre position to prevent boom moving while I reseated the lamp. The boom was partly raised. Then I turned key back to normal running position and went to raise boom a little - but it won't move up or down. It makes the same small "try-fail" movement it makes when key is in boom lock position.

Bucket operates normally. The headlights work, so I assume I haven't tripped a breaker.

I doubt the headlamp has anything to do with it, but mentioned it for completeness. I have read several threads on the solenoid valve and will do my best to check that out. I'm hoping it's just a loose wire somewhere.

The seat-lock circuit and control module have been completely removed on this machine (I bought it that way) but everything has been working fine until yesterday.

Could tapping the solenoid to "unstick" it prove useful if I determine it has power? How difficult is it to remove? One comment mentioned dropping the fuel tank. I'm not sure my abilities run that deep. A guy on YouTube destroyed his solenoid to get it out but was able to put a new one in. Can I apply power direct from battery to solenoid to see if it operates?

Anyone know of an Aussie distributor who might carry parts? Do third-party parts exist?
Lots of questions but I want to be prepared. Thanks.

edit: I just went out to take a look at it, and, after sitting overnight, the boom operated normally.

Last edited: