L555 oil cooler question

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

agb1758c

I hate always having questions and not being experienced enough to give answers. My L555 the boom and tilt cylinders and the filters after using for about hour are so hot they burn you if touched. The oil cooler, on the other hand, feels to be less than 100 degrees. Am I correct to be looking for a blockage in the oil cooler lines or the oil cooler itself? Very basic instrument panel, all lights which do surprisingly work. Only gauges are for fuel and charging. So for oil temps I have no idea. This machine's serial number is 624325, so fairly old.

Tazza

Staff member
I wonder if you may have air in the system, if thre is air, it could be getting hot because of that.... Can you get hold of a non contact thermometer? then you know exactly how hot they are getting, sounds a little too hot to me.

jerry

I wonder if you may have air in the system, if thre is air, it could be getting hot because of that.... Can you get hold of a non contact thermometer? then you know exactly how hot they are getting, sounds a little too hot to me.
On my lx665 the book says the alarm will come on at anything over 210 degrees F , the display just reads cold until it is over 100F but it also lists the 210F as normal operating temp for the hyd oil which to me would be hot enough to cause discomfort.

OP
OP
A

agb1758c

On my lx665 the book says the alarm will come on at anything over 210 degrees F , the display just reads cold until it is over 100F but it also lists the 210F as normal operating temp for the hyd oil which to me would be hot enough to cause discomfort.
I'm going to get a thermometer tomorrow morning. I thought they should run 185+, but the oil cooler being just barely warm has me stumped. I thought I would check temps throughout the machine, never had it this hot on cylinders. After I get temps will post them.

OP
OP
A

agb1758c

I'm going to get a thermometer tomorrow morning. I thought they should run 185+, but the oil cooler being just barely warm has me stumped. I thought I would check temps throughout the machine, never had it this hot on cylinders. After I get temps will post them.
Well, the machine made a liar out of me today used it for about 5 hrs straight. Temps never even got near hot. The boom and tilt cylinder only went to 137 F, the big filter and left front drive went to 143 F and the other places I checked went 133-139 F. The oil cooler on the intake side 133 F on the discharge side 129 F. Yesterday you couldn't touch them, today they wouldn't even get warm.

Tazza

Staff member
Well, the machine made a liar out of me today used it for about 5 hrs straight. Temps never even got near hot. The boom and tilt cylinder only went to 137 F, the big filter and left front drive went to 143 F and the other places I checked went 133-139 F. The oil cooler on the intake side 133 F on the discharge side 129 F. Yesterday you couldn't touch them, today they wouldn't even get warm.
Very strange, did you change how you were using the machine at all?
I remember a member a while ago was having issues if over heating when he ran an attachment. Essentially the oil was flowing in a loop, so not much of the oil was going back to the cooler so it just got hotter and hotter.

OP
OP
A

agb1758c

Very strange, did you change how you were using the machine at all?
I remember a member a while ago was having issues if over heating when he ran an attachment. Essentially the oil was flowing in a loop, so not much of the oil was going back to the cooler so it just got hotter and hotter.
Update for what may have been causing most of my problems from the beginning. Found a heavy machinery mechanic with 55 yrs experience. I explained to him about all the strange things I have had going on. He told me for some reason I had hydraulic pressure going head to head. He told me to start with my cylinders, boom and bucket, looking for bypassing. 1 boom cylinder had no lower seals left and the bucket cylinder was put together backwards and all seals in it trashed. Got the cylinders rebuilt and going to install them tonight. After that he suggested if problem still persisted to look into resealing the control valve, thinking could be trash in pressure relief valve. Will keep you updated as things progress, which I really hope this solves the problem. No big deal pulling control valve since I have to pull starter to install a new solenoid, so going to be under it anyway.

OP
OP
A

agb1758c

Update for what may have been causing most of my problems from the beginning. Found a heavy machinery mechanic with 55 yrs experience. I explained to him about all the strange things I have had going on. He told me for some reason I had hydraulic pressure going head to head. He told me to start with my cylinders, boom and bucket, looking for bypassing. 1 boom cylinder had no lower seals left and the bucket cylinder was put together backwards and all seals in it trashed. Got the cylinders rebuilt and going to install them tonight. After that he suggested if problem still persisted to look into resealing the control valve, thinking could be trash in pressure relief valve. Will keep you updated as things progress, which I really hope this solves the problem. No big deal pulling control valve since I have to pull starter to install a new solenoid, so going to be under it anyway.
It seems like rebuilding the cylinders has solved quite a few issues I was having with my hydraulics. After rebuilding the cylinders, the jerking of the boom and tilt is gone, hydraulic fluid hasn't heated up again (mechanic friend thought fluid was looping and not going through cooler for some reason) and the reversing of the boom foot pedal action seems to have cleared up. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Tazza

Staff member
It seems like rebuilding the cylinders has solved quite a few issues I was having with my hydraulics. After rebuilding the cylinders, the jerking of the boom and tilt is gone, hydraulic fluid hasn't heated up again (mechanic friend thought fluid was looping and not going through cooler for some reason) and the reversing of the boom foot pedal action seems to have cleared up. Keeping my fingers crossed.
Glad it has fixed the issues. Air could have been drawn in by the bad seals, this can create heat and will make the lift/tilt rough too.