Key fuse keeps blowing on LT 185b

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

xtreem3d

Any help would be great as this is a snow machine I am trying to get ready ASAP. It is blowing the 15 amp fuse that powers the key switch. While it's running it will sometimes die and the fuse is blown. The only odd thing lately with the machine is that sometimes when you go to start you would swear the battery is low. But if you just turn off the key and try it again it starts like a warm summer day...any idea's before I take it in?
Thanks,
Steve

Mike10

You got a tough one to find on your hands. I think I would start following the wiring harness from the engine to the cab. Remove the left fender and look closely at the harness. I saw one where the harness somehow got between the bottom of the cab and the chain case and wore through the insulation and it would act like yours. It would work fine for a while and then when the cab got in the right twist it would just blow the fuse and kill the engine.
I think your starting issue is unrelated. Though the key switch power goes to serveral places, in the start position it is only energizing relays in the start circuit and not supplying the work voltage.

OP
OP
X

xtreem3d

You got a tough one to find on your hands. I think I would start following the wiring harness from the engine to the cab. Remove the left fender and look closely at the harness. I saw one where the harness somehow got between the bottom of the cab and the chain case and wore through the insulation and it would act like yours. It would work fine for a while and then when the cab got in the right twist it would just blow the fuse and kill the engine.
I think your starting issue is unrelated. Though the key switch power goes to serveral places, in the start position it is only energizing relays in the start circuit and not supplying the work voltage.
Thanks Mike...I saw this same explanation in a year old post of yours so I will unblot the fender tomorrow and look.

Could the poor cranking be the start relay acting up?
Steve

OP
OP
X

xtreem3d

Thanks Mike...I saw this same explanation in a year old post of yours so I will unblot the fender tomorrow and look.

Could the poor cranking be the start relay acting up?
Steve
Mike PS could a bad ignition switch cause any of this ?

OP
OP
X

xtreem3d

I guess it is possible, but I think you would see other signs such as head lights flickering.
Mike,
I took the fender off and tryed to trace the wire from the fuse to dash but i didn't want to cut into any looms just yet. I just ran the machine and wiggled everything i could but nothing shorted out. If it was your machine and you had to count on it to be reliable would you take apart the dash and just replace the red/white wire that runs from ign switch to one side of fuse? I didn't take apart the dash or ign switch today
Steve

Mike10

Mike,
I took the fender off and tryed to trace the wire from the fuse to dash but i didn't want to cut into any looms just yet. I just ran the machine and wiggled everything i could but nothing shorted out. If it was your machine and you had to count on it to be reliable would you take apart the dash and just replace the red/white wire that runs from ign switch to one side of fuse? I didn't take apart the dash or ign switch today
Steve
You need to go a little farther. Depending on what year your loader is you either need to remove the metal side panel by the right side of your head or if it is the later style you will need to remove the headliner to expose the wire harness above the fuse panel. I would also remove the instrument panel and the panel with the key switch so you can see all the wires in that area. Look especially above and to the rear of the fuse panel where the harness crosses a reinforcment plate. Also look at the harness where it exits the rear of the cab. From there the harness goes down the back of the machine in front of the rear window. The window is held in with self tapping screws. These screws can puncture the harness so check that out also.
The trouble with removing the one wire is that wire is only a small part of the circuit that is being protected by the 15A fuse. If there are any wires attached to acc terminal of the ign switch besides the green wire, remove them and see if the problem reoccurs. The green wire must remain connected.