JD 250 Series 1 Hydraulic Fluid to Chain Cases

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

kgerhardt

I have a JD 250 Series 1 and am having a problem with the Hydraulic Fluid constantly going low and transferring into the chain cases where the fluid level increases an equal amount. I've removed the chain case access plates and can't see anything wrong there. The fluid appears to be coming thru the splined shaft that has the two sprockets for the chains to the drive wheels. Everything else appears to be in perfect condition. Does anyone know whether this has happened before......it appears to be coming either from the hydraulic motors or the brake or both. NO leaks under the cab....everything clean there. I have it on blocks with the wheels removed and the chain cases drained. Have removed the real axles and will remove the front so that the motor/brakes(s) can be removed. Could this be a simple seal on the motor shaft or something like that?? Any insight and help would be appreciated.

Tazza

Staff member
Never worked on one of these machines, but there will be a seal either on the motor or the carrier that the motor bolts to.
If there are filters on the case drain lines on the motors, ensure they are not blocked. Look for the small hoses coming from the drive motors. If they are restrictred, pressure can build up and push past the seal and into the chain case.

farmshop

Never worked on one of these machines, but there will be a seal either on the motor or the carrier that the motor bolts to.
If there are filters on the case drain lines on the motors, ensure they are not blocked. Look for the small hoses coming from the drive motors. If they are restrictred, pressure can build up and push past the seal and into the chain case.
When checking the case drains remove the barn fittings and look some of them had screens that would plug up. The series 2 had a update to change the fittings and filters. I would get some uv dye for the oil than run it in the dark to see if you can find the leak