2005 john deere 250,

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

xbunlocked

Did you bypass the seat safety switch? Youve got a couple interlock switches, one could easily be frozen in the "vacant" position. The seat safety switch needs to see the seat is empty {open} then it wants to see you sit down {switch closed} if it doesnt see these two events, it wont disengage the safety interlock. if its an outdoor machine can you move it inside somewhere warm for a day and let it thaw out? does that do it? if not you are just going to have to start pulling panels and chasing the wiring from safety switch to safety switch till you find where the problem is.

jonesallu

I'm assuming your skid steer is stock. Is your bucket also locked out? The multiple lockouts to release the boom/bucket include the seat, seat belt and parking brake lockouts. It also includes a door switch lockout if you have a door. Did you check the interlock fuse? It's F4. Did you check your seat/seat belt fuse? It's F2. If either is blown, you likely have a wire that has rubbed through the insulation and grounding.

Your door switch will be normally open or closed depending on the switch location (front or rear mount). When the key switch is in the run or start position and the park brake switch is in the RUN (middle detent) position, the instrument cluster provides ground for the bucket lock solenoid and boom lock solenoids (two) through wires from the instrument cluster. The ground circuit is completed through the instrument cluster wire 128 (black) allowing the solenoids to energize.

Are you handy with an electrical multimeter? If so, the seat switch, seat belt switch and door switch are simple two wire switches and can be tested using resistance. The instrument cluster provides grounds to complete the lockout circuit. The boom and bucket solenoids get their ground from terminal X7 (purple/black wire) on the instrument panel.

Your machine technical manual is readily available on the internet and has excellent troubleshooting sections in it, step-by-step.

Hope that help a bit. Good luck.

Al Jones
Jonesy's Farm Service

ozarkag

I'm guessing you have an early model 250, i.e. not a Series 2. Those park brakes are known to wear out, and unfortunately quite expensive to repair. So i agree with those that suspect the park brake, while not releasing now, likely really hasn't been holding for a while. As was mentioned above, the seat switch and seat belt switch are the main suspects here. This is a simple circuit, in tandem, i.e. goes through seat switch first then through seat belt switch. Seat belt switch is a known problem. You can try to install jumpers for test purposes, keep in mind you will have to remove and reinstall in sequence, ( seat first then seat belt) every time you start machine.

Cwilli

My 317 did that except it wouldn't release the park brake either. After checkout all of the fuses I located a wiring diagram and started tracing out the safety circuit. I found where a mouse had chewed into a wire going to the seatbelt safety switch. Spliced the wire and no more issues.

Ster1

I got a message from admin asking me to post my thoughts on this thread, so here they are: all the guys who are saying there's ice / corrosion around a solenoid / relay somewhere are probably right on. Also the folks talking about broken parking brake are also right on. Two separate issues. I notice this thread was just started a few hours ago, and OP probably hasn't had a chance to put any of these suggestions to work yet. I shall patiently await a swift resolution :)

camoguy

I have this 2005 john deere 250 ,and the seatbelt light ,and parking break light is on costently,but when you start it up ,it will move around with parking break on ,and the boom wont go up
I would Check safety switches and relays. Then start looking at harness plugs. Sometimes brakes can drag if you are losing charge pressure.

Dave J

I helped a friend with a similar situation found a manual online. The parking brake, seat , and seatbelt were all on the same wiring loop. In his case I found a wire going to the seat that had been rubbing and broke causing an open in the loop which caused the light and lock up situation. It was behind the seat in the cab. Follow the wires from all of those three safety switches look for a brake or bad connection.

joeyt1995

It's definitely you have moisture in your electrical wiring control module. Generally in those models you'll find a box below the seat or on the floor of the machine really you just gotta get it dried out either get a leaf blower or something to get that moisture out of there or heat gun like said previously I would even go as far as to open it up get some paper towels even and try and dry it out. It's basically a short in the Control board that's causing the malfunction. Get it dried out and it should start right up and have no problems running.

Dave J

I have a digital copy of the manual that was free but I can't find the download link location. It is 108 megs so I can't post it here but would try to send it if you want.

joeyt1995

If you go to AutoZone, they sell electrical part cleaner there that also works really good displacing any water that's on the connectors. It's like a five dollar can grab one of that and spray it down it dissolves away almost right away so don't need to wait for to dry but it'll remove the water, and ensure proper connections

joeyt1995

If it's not throwing a code, then you don't need to worry about messing with the fuses, wiring etc.. It'll be pretty easy to tell you if it's that problem or not if it's not throwing a code it's definitely just moisture in your control panel i.e. under fuses where they connect to the motherboard that sort of thing.

mrbb

well my 2 cents after getting message to from administrator to try and help here??

since you stated the issue didn;'t exist when parked,
that tends to make me think, of two things
one a mouse or other critter chewed on some wires some place
OR< like stated, due to now COLDER temps, you got water/moisture in some connection, or over time, corrosion has finally built up enough to cause an issue

as stated by others here, the machine seems to think the seat belt is not connected(when I gather you have it) or the seat safety switch is not being recognized when your sitting on seat
which should lock out some of your controls, like the boom and such

the Fact the machine can over power the parking brake and move the machine, is, due to either, a poorly adjusted parking brake, or worn parks on the parking brake, or this is my guess

SO< that means, IMO< you need to start checking the seat belt and seat witches and all wiring and connections to them,
I would clean all connections and add some dielectric grease to them, to help them STAY good

and again, be looking for any where a mouse has chewed on a wire and is now causing current flow issues, or shorts!

and IMO< (no offense meant to you, ]joeyt1995 ) many times connections and wire damage can happen without throwing a code, due to they can be erratic on causing the issue and or just the connections being corroded, do not throw codes for corrosion, , countless battery terminals, cause amp flow reduction without throwing codes as an example, or even just grounds not grounding well

so, just cause NO codes, to me, doesn't meant not a wiring issue!

OP
OP
G

geno marino

Geno, you have mentioned three issues that seem related (seat belt warning, parking brake warning, and a boom that won't go up). You also mentioned that the machine moves with the parking brake on. As was mentioned, the boom issue is most likely related to the seat belt warning and is a safety lockout because it thinks you are not strapped in.

I believe it would be worthwhile to troubleshoot the parking brake system for both wear and proper adjustment and then address the warning system.

If the whole issues is temperature/moisture related you will most likely need to track down the relay that has been compromised and possibly replace it. My best advice is to obtain the service manual for your machine as well as a parts book as you will find those invaluable in troubleshooting this and other problems in the future.

Hopefully someone on the forum with John Deere experience will help you track this down. Best of luck.

John
Hey thanks john ur on it .i really appreciate your input .ive read about everything i can about just dont know how to go about it yet

OP
OP
G

geno marino

If it's not throwing a code, then you don't need to worry about messing with the fuses, wiring etc.. It'll be pretty easy to tell you if it's that problem or not if it's not throwing a code it's definitely just moisture in your control panel i.e. under fuses where they connect to the motherboard that sort of thing.
Thanks joyet

andyjax

Sounds like a sensor somewhere connected to the parking brake making the machine think the brake is on and disabling the boom. If the machine moves, the sensor is not turning off hydraulics or setting the brake.

North Idaho Wolfman

I'm with Al Jones on this, post #22.
You can all so drive moisture out of switches and components with simple WD40.
Just heat if frozen and spray internals and contact points.

bornfreeee

I have a very similar machine. Make sure the seat belt is sending a signal to the computer that it has been buckled in after the machine was started, as this is required for it to release the parking brake. Once i had to repair one of the wires connecting that seat belt sensor to the computer to fix a similar problem to what you describe. My park brake also does not work great and is easily overcome by the drive system, you can drive it around with the brake on. Not so for the boom hydraulics, much more park brake sensitive somehow.

tebger

I think you've got enough info. from people here to track it down. The safetys built into the seat and belt are a good place to start and a little ice, a ground, etc could cause the problems.
I've owned a mid 90's JD/New Holland for 25 years. It's been great but the belt connection or seat sensor can bring things to a halt.
The parking brake should not allow the machine to move at all when applied. I had what I thought to be a linkage problem with mine so never used it. After working on it several times I finally figured out the rubber handle grip had slid forward so I couldn't fully depress the release button. (Duh).
My only gripe has been the side slop at at some of the pin/bushing connections. I learned on this forum that they were supposed to have shims at these points. Somebody must have been asleep when it went by on the assembly line.
It's time to replace some pins and bushings so I'll finally get that fixed.
These aren't related to your issues but I've learned a number of things when looking for something else.
Good luck.

OP
OP
G

geno marino

I'm with Al Jones on this, post #22.
You can all so drive moisture out of switches and components with simple WD40.
Just heat if frozen and spray internals and contact points.
I went out to the loader started right up when i pulled the seat belt out and pluged it back in the seatbelt light went out bucket raised up nice like before. Works great.its probly water from rain and snow .i must have unpluged the seatbelt and plugged it back in 1,000 xs all week it was really cold here in ohio

OP
OP
G

geno marino

I went out to the loader started right up when i pulled the seat belt out and pluged it back in the seatbelt light went out bucket raised up nice like before. Works great.its probly water from rain and snow .i must have unpluged the seatbelt and plugged it back in 1,000 xs all week it was really cold here in ohio
And the parking brake switch light is still on too and the glowplug symble too now .its prob .in the cluster panel. Is my quess nothings changed except the temprature