is it worth it to rebuild a bucket?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

[email protected]

my smooth bucket is rough. it sat holding water for years, the corners are all rusted through. the guy that owned the machine before me used it to pack dumpsters, and the bottom of the bucket is all crushed in. the weld on cutting edge is almost worn to the bolt holes. how much are new buckets? this one is a 54 but i'd get a 56" so my tooth bucket would fit inside. i can't imagine spending 4-500 to rebuild this one when a new one can't be much more than that. any thoughts?

ancomcabs

When I first bought my 630 a few years ago I got one off e-bay from an auction, 60", it was new and cost was about 500 shipped to me. It is a decent bucket, not the heaviest out there but I still have it today on my S130
Andy

OP
OP
T

[email protected]

When I first bought my 630 a few years ago I got one off e-bay from an auction, 60", it was new and cost was about 500 shipped to me. It is a decent bucket, not the heaviest out there but I still have it today on my S130
Andy
thanks for your response. there are tons of 5' buckets around, i just think it's a little big for my 643. 56" is a rare size. i know a guy who has an almost new one that has sat for years but he won't sell it :/

reaperman

thanks for your response. there are tons of 5' buckets around, i just think it's a little big for my 643. 56" is a rare size. i know a guy who has an almost new one that has sat for years but he won't sell it :/
New cutting edges arent too costly, under $200. It could be welded onto your existing cutting edge if your current edge isnt bolted on. But it would be better if you could bolt on a new one. that would allow you to flip the new edge over when it gets worn. A new cutting edge would give your current bucket many more useful hours.

OP
OP
T

[email protected]

New cutting edges arent too costly, under $200. It could be welded onto your existing cutting edge if your current edge isnt bolted on. But it would be better if you could bolt on a new one. that would allow you to flip the new edge over when it gets worn. A new cutting edge would give your current bucket many more useful hours.
I have a bolt on one now but the Weldon one is very worn I'm not gonna cut it off and weld it back on its. It worth it

SkidRoe

I have a bolt on one now but the Weldon one is very worn I'm not gonna cut it off and weld it back on its. It worth it
I wouldn't be afraid to try a 60" bucket on a 643, unless overall machine width is your concern. I switched to a 50" on my 440B last year, principly for snow, but now my 42" bucket is gathering dust. I even have teeth on the 50" now.
As far as welding on a new cutting edge, I just recently did one on a 68" bucket for the 773. It had some hidden plug welds between and behind the holes. It made for a bit of a head scratcher until I realised they were there, and then it was pretty quick work with the plasma cutter.
HTH

OP
OP
T

[email protected]

I wouldn't be afraid to try a 60" bucket on a 643, unless overall machine width is your concern. I switched to a 50" on my 440B last year, principly for snow, but now my 42" bucket is gathering dust. I even have teeth on the 50" now.
As far as welding on a new cutting edge, I just recently did one on a 68" bucket for the 773. It had some hidden plug welds between and behind the holes. It made for a bit of a head scratcher until I realised they were there, and then it was pretty quick work with the plasma cutter.
HTH
yeah its a size thing. a 643 is the same machine as a 743 basically, i'm not really concerned about it being able to handle it, it handles my 68" snow bucket great. i like being able to get into tight areas. there have been a couple jobs this year that if i had a 5' bucket it wouldnt have worked.

nate379

yeah its a size thing. a 643 is the same machine as a 743 basically, i'm not really concerned about it being able to handle it, it handles my 68" snow bucket great. i like being able to get into tight areas. there have been a couple jobs this year that if i had a 5' bucket it wouldnt have worked.
I put a new cutting edge on my bucket for about $30. I wasn't about ready to spend $300+ for a Bobcat one. I bought a 20ft stick of 6" wide 1/2" steel for under $80 at the steel yard. I cut pieces to bucket length, Drilled holes to match the bucket and put in tapered head bolts (so it's flat underneath) Yes it's "just" mild steel but we have been using it since this spring and it has minimal wear. Used for moving topsoil and gravel, mucking out horse pens, moving firewood, etc. I figure for the cost I can deal with the wear.