Hydraulic Oil Cooler Replacement

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

thieb

The oil cooler in my t180 is leaking. It's not terrible right now, but it leaks enough to make a mess of the radiator and cooling ducts and I'd like to fix it before it gets any worse. Does anyone know of a cheaper aftermarket source to purchase an oil cooler? Also has anyone had any experience with having a leaky cooler repaired? Just trying to figure out the most economical fix. Thanks!

SkidRoe

I doubt very much you will be able to find a "generic" or aftermarket cooler that will be a direct fit. There just isn't a big enough market, and most coolers are tailored to the application.
Depending on where it is leaking from, you may be able to repair it. Silver solder can work wonders. Just make sure the area is cleaned bare and oil free before soldering, and don't be shy with the flux.
HTH - SR

Tazza

Staff member
I doubt very much you will be able to find a "generic" or aftermarket cooler that will be a direct fit. There just isn't a big enough market, and most coolers are tailored to the application.
Depending on where it is leaking from, you may be able to repair it. Silver solder can work wonders. Just make sure the area is cleaned bare and oil free before soldering, and don't be shy with the flux.
HTH - SR
SR is right, i doubt you will find an aftermarket one.
I have an S250 that lived outside and the oil cooler got multiple pin holes in it. I cleaned all the oil out i could with solvent, sand blasted the area that was leaking and used blue tip silver solder and flux to seal up the holes. It is leak free now.
I used silver solder, as it melts at a lower temperature than bronze does.

farmshop

SR is right, i doubt you will find an aftermarket one.
I have an S250 that lived outside and the oil cooler got multiple pin holes in it. I cleaned all the oil out i could with solvent, sand blasted the area that was leaking and used blue tip silver solder and flux to seal up the holes. It is leak free now.
I used silver solder, as it melts at a lower temperature than bronze does.
I have brazed oil coolers on other equipment before with good results

mmsllc

I have brazed oil coolers on other equipment before with good results
I know that some coolers cross over to other models. I have a good cooler from a 763. I am not sure that it will fit, but it is in great condition & does not leak. Make an offer if interested. Thanks.

Bobcatdan

I know that some coolers cross over to other models. I have a good cooler from a 763. I am not sure that it will fit, but it is in great condition & does not leak. Make an offer if interested. Thanks.
A radiator shop should be able to fix no problem as long as its repairable.

OP
OP
T

thieb

That's usually true as long as they are not rusted out. Then there's nothing left to repair. RUST is a mechanic's worst enemy.
Does anyone know what pressure runs through the hydraulic oil cooler on the T180? Looking for a pressure to pressure test my current (repaired) cooler to. Or to find a generic oil cooler that will meet the spec. Thank you.

mmsllc

Does anyone know what pressure runs through the hydraulic oil cooler on the T180? Looking for a pressure to pressure test my current (repaired) cooler to. Or to find a generic oil cooler that will meet the spec. Thank you.
The pressure through that cooler ought to be fairly low, because it is on the return side of the hydraulic circuit. I'd guess it would be around 200 to 500 psi.

Tazza

Staff member
The pressure through that cooler ought to be fairly low, because it is on the return side of the hydraulic circuit. I'd guess it would be around 200 to 500 psi.
It should be running at charge pressure, being a tracked machine, I thought the charge pressure was in the mid 300 psi range?
I'm sure bobcat Dan will give the actual figures.

mmsllc

It should be running at charge pressure, being a tracked machine, I thought the charge pressure was in the mid 300 psi range?
I'm sure bobcat Dan will give the actual figures.
That could be true, as long as the cooler is located on the return side of the hydraulic system, like the filter "should" be. I've never seen coolers or filters run off high pressure that most pumps can generate; they'd blow out pretty quickly.

Latest posts