Hydra Mac 8A

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

rnbuck01

I have a hydra mac 8A with the onan engine in there and it will run fine for about 5-10 minutes then it will start missing. what could be the problem?

earmuffs

check to see that choke is going off or turn in the mixture screw on the bottom of the carb a little at a time.

OP
OP
R

rnbuck01

check to see that choke is going off or turn in the mixture screw on the bottom of the carb a little at a time.
It is something to do with the spark, because when i put my spark tester on the light slows down with the engine when it misses.

Tazza

Staff member
It is something to do with the spark, because when i put my spark tester on the light slows down with the engine when it misses.
If its spark related, have you cleaned the distributor? checked and cleaned the points, condensor may be starting to go. Is the cap and rotor looking good? It could also be coil and leads too?
Sadly, there are quite a few parts of the ignition system, but as you noticed its a spark issue, you can eliminate it.
Personally i'd start with a coil, check the cap and rotor. Leads to break down over time too.

If its spark related, have you cleaned the distributor? checked and cleaned the points, condensor may be starting to go. Is the cap and rotor looking good? It could also be coil and leads too?
Sadly, there are quite a few parts of the ignition system, but as you noticed its a spark issue, you can eliminate it.
Personally i'd start with a coil, check the cap and rotor. Leads to break down over time too.
I know this is old but i had similar problems with an onan in my john deere 318. It turned out to be the valve clearance. it would start cold and run great.. when the valves heated up they lost the clearance and would allow it to pop and fart and backfire. I could only get about ten minutes out of it.

12CHydraMac

if you have facebook i run a hydra mac group on there with over 160 active members. www.facebook.com/groups/hydramac thanks