HELP...763 lift and bucket tilt keep going out randomly

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

I recently bought a 1995 763 bobcat. I have never owned one so I am learning as I go. It has been running fine since ive had it until yesterday. I was using it and all of the sudden the lift and bucket tilt stopped working. i could still drive the machine forward and backward tho. If I turn the machine off and back on and hit the green button they will work again for a few minutes and then stop again. Any advice would be great! thanks

OldMachinist

Sounds like the seat bar sensor is going bad.
When it does this look at the BICS box to see if all the lights are on and if any of them are flashing.

OP
OP
G
Sounds like the seat bar sensor is going bad.
When it does this look at the BICS box to see if all the lights are on and if any of them are flashing.
Ok great. If it is the seat bar sensor is there a way to bypass this sensor so i can use it today? Or it will have to be replaced?

OldMachinist

Ok great. If it is the seat bar sensor is there a way to bypass this sensor so i can use it today? Or it will have to be replaced?
No way to bypass it. It uses magnets to sense when the seat bar is down. Could need cleaning, the magnets attract any metal shavings. Try blowing it out with a air nozzle.

OP
OP
G
No way to bypass it. It uses magnets to sense when the seat bar is down. Could need cleaning, the magnets attract any metal shavings. Try blowing it out with a air nozzle.
Ok. I'm going to try and get a service manual tomorrow but could you briefly describe where it is located? I'm just wondering but when the bar is raised the nothing on the machine will move. When this happens the machine can still be driven. Does that make a difference

OldMachinist

Ok. I'm going to try and get a service manual tomorrow but could you briefly describe where it is located? I'm just wondering but when the bar is raised the nothing on the machine will move. When this happens the machine can still be driven. Does that make a difference
What are the lights on the BICS box doing? It's the black box behind your right arm when sitting in the seat.
Also something I just thought of. That old of a machine may have a seat sensor too. If the BICS box has a light for "seat" check to make sure there's nothing under the seat(rags, gloves or aluminum cans) preventing the switch from working.

OP
OP
G
What are the lights on the BICS box doing? It's the black box behind your right arm when sitting in the seat.
Also something I just thought of. That old of a machine may have a seat sensor too. If the BICS box has a light for "seat" check to make sure there's nothing under the seat(rags, gloves or aluminum cans) preventing the switch from working.
Ok. I just got it to do it and I looked at the lights. When the lift stopped working the light that says "valve" was off. Then when I pushed the pedal it would blink 3 times. Any ideas what's causing this? And do you know what the little red, round thing is that screws on and off to the right of my seat? Does it serve a purpose?

OldMachinist

Ok. I just got it to do it and I looked at the lights. When the lift stopped working the light that says "valve" was off. Then when I pushed the pedal it would blink 3 times. Any ideas what's causing this? And do you know what the little red, round thing is that screws on and off to the right of my seat? Does it serve a purpose?
Three blinks on the "valve" light is either the hot wire going to the valve is grounded or the valve ground wire isn't connected. Depending on the machine serial number the solenoid/solenoids that lock the lift and tilt may be on the main control valve or on separate valve body. Lift the cab and check the wiring that goes to the solenoids for corroded connections or rubbed wires. If the connection are good and no shorted wires the solenoid could be bad.

The red knob allows you to lower the lift arms with engine off. Sitting in the seat with the seat bar down you turn the key on, push the green button, pull the knob out and use the pedal to lower the arms.

OP
OP
G
Three blinks on the "valve" light is either the hot wire going to the valve is grounded or the valve ground wire isn't connected. Depending on the machine serial number the solenoid/solenoids that lock the lift and tilt may be on the main control valve or on separate valve body. Lift the cab and check the wiring that goes to the solenoids for corroded connections or rubbed wires. If the connection are good and no shorted wires the solenoid could be bad.

The red knob allows you to lower the lift arms with engine off. Sitting in the seat with the seat bar down you turn the key on, push the green button, pull the knob out and use the pedal to lower the arms.
Dang it! I put a new sensor lap bar sensor on my machine last nite hoping that would fix the lift and tilt lock problem but it is still doing it. Is there anything else it could be? Any other sensors that control the lift and tilt that would cause the valve button to blink 3 times?

Tazza

Staff member
Dang it! I put a new sensor lap bar sensor on my machine last nite hoping that would fix the lift and tilt lock problem but it is still doing it. Is there anything else it could be? Any other sensors that control the lift and tilt that would cause the valve button to blink 3 times?
Could it be a bad coil on the lockout stem? If they short or open up, they can blink an error code like you are seeing. It could also be a shorted wire in the harness doing the same...

OP
OP
G
Could it be a bad coil on the lockout stem? If they short or open up, they can blink an error code like you are seeing. It could also be a shorted wire in the harness doing the same...
Yes! You are dead on. It ended up being the coil on the backside of the aluminum hydro case. I think he said it was called a bicks coil? Not sure if I spelled that right. Thank you for all of the help and info!

Tazza

Staff member
Yes! You are dead on. It ended up being the coil on the backside of the aluminum hydro case. I think he said it was called a bicks coil? Not sure if I spelled that right. Thank you for all of the help and info!
Glad it's fixed, they can be weird some times. Some work fine for a while then stop, let the machine cool and they work again for a time. Others refuse to work at all.

OP
OP
G
Glad it's fixed, they can be weird some times. Some work fine for a while then stop, let the machine cool and they work again for a time. Others refuse to work at all.
Do you know the best way to get a manual for an older 763 like this? And are there any types of classes/courses out there that Bobcat or anyone offers to teach people how to work on these for a living? Sorta like how Ford has a program through tech schools?

jameshynes69

The dealer will have manuals available, but at a price. Look up my profile and send me an email, i may be able to help you out. I just bought a house and the net is not yet on, so it may be a few days before i get back to you though. I don't know if i have the exact same manual, but i'd have something that should cover all the parts of it you'd need.
As for cources, i don't know of any. It's really a thing that you learn while doing. The big safety one is to keep the heaviest part uphill. Say you have a load of dirt, drive up, when empty drive down. Without a load of dirt you are meant to back up. Depending on how full the bucket is going down, you are meant to back down, but i rarely do this. I have carried a rock down a hill that was a little too heavy and tipped the machine forward and smacked into the dirt HARD. These are all things you will pick up from trying.
Hi there I have a 763 G-series also,
Then all of a sudden I never had no tilt or lift. is it the electric spool solenoid? If one solenoid is not working , will that affect both the lift and tilt ?

Email your help to jameshynes69atgeemaildotcom

Tazza

Staff member
Do you know the best way to get a manual for an older 763 like this? And are there any types of classes/courses out there that Bobcat or anyone offers to teach people how to work on these for a living? Sorta like how Ford has a program through tech schools?
The dealer will have manuals available, but at a price. Look up my profile and send me an email, i may be able to help you out. I just bought a house and the net is not yet on, so it may be a few days before i get back to you though. I don't know if i have the exact same manual, but i'd have something that should cover all the parts of it you'd need.
As for cources, i don't know of any. It's really a thing that you learn while doing. The big safety one is to keep the heaviest part uphill. Say you have a load of dirt, drive up, when empty drive down. Without a load of dirt you are meant to back up. Depending on how full the bucket is going down, you are meant to back down, but i rarely do this. I have carried a rock down a hill that was a little too heavy and tipped the machine forward and smacked into the dirt HARD. These are all things you will pick up from trying.