Gehl 4500 right wheels wont move under load

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

what have i done

Well I did it again.. I bought another old Gehl hoping it would do everything I wanted it to do.. I bought a nice looking gehl 4500 last week.. guy delivered it.. I literally drove it from his trailer up my lane, knocking down some high spots on some ruts then parked it. Yesterday I used it for a bit.. stopped then went to move, the right wheels would not turn, of course it was raining and muddy as heck so I parked it Today I took cover off chain area.. chains are intact. I used the bucked to get the wheels up off the ground.. the wheels would move but definitely a lot slower than the left side. As soon as the machine was lowered back down the wheels stopped,, I called seller and he had no suggestions WHERE DO I Begin?

walio123

Try to adjust the linkage between the T bar and the pumps correctly, if this does not work, you probably have a weak hydromotor or a weak pump on this hydromotor

OP
OP
W

what have i done

Try to adjust the linkage between the T bar and the pumps correctly, if this does not work, you probably have a weak hydromotor or a weak pump on this hydromotor
Im gonna have to find some manuals for this. I wish i Had gotten some use out of this before I had to tear into it.

walio123

Im gonna have to find some manuals for this. I wish i Had gotten some use out of this before I had to tear into it.
This is a pretty old machine and it will take care of it, take good to look around it and to know what the condition is ... you will have to get your hands dirty if you want to have strong skidsteer :)

My 4510 has "tow valves" one on each pump. These allow fluid to bypass the pump and tow the machine. When the tow valves are open you can move the Tbar anywhere you want and the tires do not move from machine power. Maybe one tow valve is half open? The valve is a small vertical stem on top of both pumps. You rotate 90deg to open/close.

OP
OP
W

what have i done

My 4510 has "tow valves" one on each pump. These allow fluid to bypass the pump and tow the machine. When the tow valves are open you can move the Tbar anywhere you want and the tires do not move from machine power. Maybe one tow valve is half open? The valve is a small vertical stem on top of both pumps. You rotate 90deg to open/close.
Thanks for the suggestions, I am hoping to have a look at things this weekend, weather permitting. Where are the valves located?

OP
OP
W

what have i done

Thanks for the suggestions, I am hoping to have a look at things this weekend, weather permitting. Where are the valves located?
I had been dreading the worst, and putting off tearing into the skidsteer to diagnose the problem. We finally got some decent weather so I started removing covers. I found the bracket had come off the pump shaft. It was a tough squeeze but I was able to get it back on the shaft, install a roll pin and get the connecting rod to the T handle reconnected.. HAPPY DANCE.. it works and runs like a champ. Spent a couple hours in the seat the following day. The machine has been converted to LP. I am back to liking it, but I need to get a spare tank to have on hand...LOL

Tazza

Staff member
I had been dreading the worst, and putting off tearing into the skidsteer to diagnose the problem. We finally got some decent weather so I started removing covers. I found the bracket had come off the pump shaft. It was a tough squeeze but I was able to get it back on the shaft, install a roll pin and get the connecting rod to the T handle reconnected.. HAPPY DANCE.. it works and runs like a champ. Spent a couple hours in the seat the following day. The machine has been converted to LP. I am back to liking it, but I need to get a spare tank to have on hand...LOL
Awesome news, glad it was such an easy fix.