gehl 2600 right wheels wont turn

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

OP
OP
W

what have i done

I think you are right about one belt. Ours must have been changed to a series of V-belts before we got it. It seems to work fine, and that's the way I thought it was supposed to be, but it looks like it's supposed to have one belt. I had to look it up in a parts breakdown and it is one only, here is a link to a parts diagram for it. http://pdf.germanbliss.com/HL2600SkidSteerLoaderpartsManual.pdf Page 12 parts 16,17,18 show the belt and sheaves (pulleys). I have no idea what that belt may cost but if it's cheaper to go with v-belts, I can assure the will work. At least they have for us, for about 10 years on the same set. The funny thing is about you only doing your own driveway now is now those same folks who never thanked you will probably be complaining your not coming to their house any more. Ha-Ha.
Thanks for the manual....I will have to browse through it today at work....uhmm I mean when i get a free moment.

OP
OP
W

what have i done

Thanks for the manual....I will have to browse through it today at work....uhmm I mean when i get a free moment.
so mine has 1 wide serpentine belt...are you saying yours has a couple v-belts in it's place...does it utilize the same flat pulleys or have they been swapped out? I think the flat belt is just shy of $100.

mark18mwm

so mine has 1 wide serpentine belt...are you saying yours has a couple v-belts in it's place...does it utilize the same flat pulleys or have they been swapped out? I think the flat belt is just shy of $100.
Yes, ours has 4 regular v-belts. It does not have flat pulleys, they are pulleys for v-belts. I was assuming this is how it came from the factory as that is how we bought it, but some one at some point must have changed it. I can tell you what we have works well for us.

OP
OP
W

what have i done

Yes, ours has 4 regular v-belts. It does not have flat pulleys, they are pulleys for v-belts. I was assuming this is how it came from the factory as that is how we bought it, but some one at some point must have changed it. I can tell you what we have works well for us.
Well we got another 6" of snow...went to use the skidsteer and the right wheels wont move again... I thought for sure after using it last week and keeping it in the garage it was gonna be ok til spring...I was wrong. To get tot he drive chains do I need to remove the cab to get the chain cover removed?

OP
OP
W

what have i done

Well we got another 6" of snow...went to use the skidsteer and the right wheels wont move again... I thought for sure after using it last week and keeping it in the garage it was gonna be ok til spring...I was wrong. To get tot he drive chains do I need to remove the cab to get the chain cover removed?
I had a little time this morning so I attempted to get the plastic cover off. It looks like just 2 bolts. those were removed and the cover has movement but the front corner is either still attached or is frozen in place and wont allow the cover to come off. We had to go to the inlaws so my time was limited. back to work tomorrow. Saturday is supposed to be warmish so I plan on getting to the root of the problem on Saturday

OP
OP
W

what have i done

I had a little time this morning so I attempted to get the plastic cover off. It looks like just 2 bolts. those were removed and the cover has movement but the front corner is either still attached or is frozen in place and wont allow the cover to come off. We had to go to the inlaws so my time was limited. back to work tomorrow. Saturday is supposed to be warmish so I plan on getting to the root of the problem on Saturday
Finally got some time yesterday. Chain cover came off easier today. I raised the bucket up to get the arms out of the way and was able to finagle the cover off. Found the "wells" in the belly of the machine where the sprockets are located to be solid ice. Encasing the chain and sprocket preventing them from moving on the right side. Using a torch I thawed the ice and vacuumed out the water and debris. Back together no issues moving back and fourth... took a little time to tighten the drive belt as well. it had significant play so I am sure that is where the squeal was coming from. the bolt used to slide the motor giving tension is seized up so with the motor bolts loosened I was able to tap and pry the motor back and tighten it back up. The belt has about 1/2" of flex. I would of liked to get it a bit tighter but that's what I was left with. Too fricken cold out to go out and play to see if I made any progress with it. Thanks again for the Help and Input

mark18mwm

Finally got some time yesterday. Chain cover came off easier today. I raised the bucket up to get the arms out of the way and was able to finagle the cover off. Found the "wells" in the belly of the machine where the sprockets are located to be solid ice. Encasing the chain and sprocket preventing them from moving on the right side. Using a torch I thawed the ice and vacuumed out the water and debris. Back together no issues moving back and fourth... took a little time to tighten the drive belt as well. it had significant play so I am sure that is where the squeal was coming from. the bolt used to slide the motor giving tension is seized up so with the motor bolts loosened I was able to tap and pry the motor back and tighten it back up. The belt has about 1/2" of flex. I would of liked to get it a bit tighter but that's what I was left with. Too fricken cold out to go out and play to see if I made any progress with it. Thanks again for the Help and Input
When it warms up, go under the machine and look for the 4 drain plugs in them sprocket wells. We pulled our plugs out a few years ago and have not had problems since then. I guess it's possible to get dirt or mud in the holes without the plugs installed but it can also fall back out with out them. As you can see they already hold dirt,water rocks and anything else that falls in there already , so I would pull the plugs and let the junk fall out. If you do want to keep the plugs in, Maybe you could drill small drain holes in the plug to let water out. I'll tell you with out the plugs it works great to wash out the wells and you can get all the crap out of them by just running water through them, you would be surprised how much stuff collects in the wells. like I say, we took ours out and will never put them back in.

OP
OP
W

what have i done

When it warms up, go under the machine and look for the 4 drain plugs in them sprocket wells. We pulled our plugs out a few years ago and have not had problems since then. I guess it's possible to get dirt or mud in the holes without the plugs installed but it can also fall back out with out them. As you can see they already hold dirt,water rocks and anything else that falls in there already , so I would pull the plugs and let the junk fall out. If you do want to keep the plugs in, Maybe you could drill small drain holes in the plug to let water out. I'll tell you with out the plugs it works great to wash out the wells and you can get all the crap out of them by just running water through them, you would be surprised how much stuff collects in the wells. like I say, we took ours out and will never put them back in.
I did see the plugs, but they are seized in place.. This spring i will get them out or drill new holes for draining purposes.