fuel problem

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

fiddlearound

After 35 years of never doing it, I finally got stupid enough. Yep, ran my 753G out of diesel. I've tried the bleed procedures to no avail. Pulled the fuel line off the pump bulb and found that there was no fuel coming from the tank. Question is, is there an online filter outside the tank, or something inside the tank that could be stopped up with debris? Would it be appropriate to use compressed air to dislodge any debris? Thanks for any suggestions. Alton

mrfixitpaul

In the tank is a pick up tube and uaually a screen with a check valve (newer machines no longer have the check valve but I'm not sure how long ago they stopped) , if you blow back through and it has a check valve it may cause more problems. Probably if the machine is 4 years old or more, the pick up tube has broken off. You'll need to raise the cab, follow the fuel line back from the primer bulb, under the engine to the top of the fuel tank. Pry the metal elbow out of the rubber grommett, and see what is there. should be about 1 foot of clear fuel line for the pickup tube. If it has broken, don't worry about the piece left in the tank, just install a new piece and reassemble. If all looks well with the pickup tube, check for pinched line or maybe debris in the metal elbow or stuck in the line just before the primer bulb.

OP
OP
F

fiddlearound

In the tank is a pick up tube and uaually a screen with a check valve (newer machines no longer have the check valve but I'm not sure how long ago they stopped) , if you blow back through and it has a check valve it may cause more problems. Probably if the machine is 4 years old or more, the pick up tube has broken off. You'll need to raise the cab, follow the fuel line back from the primer bulb, under the engine to the top of the fuel tank. Pry the metal elbow out of the rubber grommett, and see what is there. should be about 1 foot of clear fuel line for the pickup tube. If it has broken, don't worry about the piece left in the tank, just install a new piece and reassemble. If all looks well with the pickup tube, check for pinched line or maybe debris in the metal elbow or stuck in the line just before the primer bulb.
Thanks mrfixitpaul, I've been away for Thanksgiving, but I will check all of these things today. Appreciate the advice.

OP
OP
F

fiddlearound

Thanks mrfixitpaul, I've been away for Thanksgiving, but I will check all of these things today. Appreciate the advice.
Guys, I wanted to bump this back up to the top because I still have my problem. I've tried to follow the fuel line to the fuel pump, but, I still can't see the tank. Is it below the engine? My manual doesn't have a diagram or picture of the tank. Is there one in a specific manual? Thanks for any new advice. Alton.

jkwilson

Guys, I wanted to bump this back up to the top because I still have my problem. I've tried to follow the fuel line to the fuel pump, but, I still can't see the tank. Is it below the engine? My manual doesn't have a diagram or picture of the tank. Is there one in a specific manual? Thanks for any new advice. Alton.
Behind the seat. The fill opening is on the side of the tank near the top.

Tazza

Staff member
I thought that tank was the hydraulic oil tank. The filler tube on my unit appears to go down below this tank. Thanks, I will go look again.
If you open the door, look under the engine, there is a big plastic tank, this is your fuel tank.
The pickup tube can be accessed if you lift the cab, put your arm over the hydraulic pumps. Feel around and tap the tank, its plastic. There will be two tubes going to it, one is the pickup, the other is the return.

OP
OP
F

fiddlearound

If you open the door, look under the engine, there is a big plastic tank, this is your fuel tank.
The pickup tube can be accessed if you lift the cab, put your arm over the hydraulic pumps. Feel around and tap the tank, its plastic. There will be two tubes going to it, one is the pickup, the other is the return.
Thanks, Tazza, I'll look again. Everything is so tight in there, I need to try harder to get my big hands down there. Dang, I wish to heck I hadn't run out of diesel.

Tazza

Staff member
Thanks, Tazza, I'll look again. Everything is so tight in there, I need to try harder to get my big hands down there. Dang, I wish to heck I hadn't run out of diesel.
Access sure is tight, but if the pickup tube did break off, no amount of fuel would have saved it. Age makes them go brittle.

OP
OP
F

fiddlearound

Access sure is tight, but if the pickup tube did break off, no amount of fuel would have saved it. Age makes them go brittle.
You are right about the tight working conditions, Tazza. But you were all correct that the pickup tube was gone. I finally got the intake fitting out after losing most of the skin on my left hand. Took two tries before I got the new pickup tube installed. Bled the air at the fuel filter and she started right up. Had to do it a couple of times, but finally ran well. Just read Ken's suggestion of drilling a new, more accessible hole in install the pickup and I might have done that. Seems much easier. Thanks, all. Alton.

You are right about the tight working conditions, Tazza. But you were all correct that the pickup tube was gone. I finally got the intake fitting out after losing most of the skin on my left hand. Took two tries before I got the new pickup tube installed. Bled the air at the fuel filter and she started right up. Had to do it a couple of times, but finally ran well. Just read Ken's suggestion of drilling a new, more accessible hole in install the pickup and I might have done that. Seems much easier. Thanks, all. Alton.
I've been tackling this all day today and pulled one of the tubes and it had no plastic tube on the end. Howeve i might not have the correct tube. When i pulled the tube i went back a squeezed the primer bulb and it sounded like fuel was still going through the bulb. Does this sound like i've pulled the wrong one?

OP
OP
F

fiddlearound

I've been tackling this all day today and pulled one of the tubes and it had no plastic tube on the end. Howeve i might not have the correct tube. When i pulled the tube i went back a squeezed the primer bulb and it sounded like fuel was still going through the bulb. Does this sound like i've pulled the wrong one?
Go to the bulb and remove the fuel line that goes to the fuel filter. Then squeeze the bulb and fuel should come out of the bulb if there is a pickup tube in the tank. If so, then just bleed the air at the filter until the bubbles are gone and try to start the engine. If there is no fuel coming out of the bulb, then there is probably no pickup tube in the tank. Trace that fuel line back to the tank, when you pull the grommet type device out of the tank, there should be a pickup tube there. Replace with a new one and go back to the bulb, squeeze until fuel flows, replace the line that goes to the fuel filter, open the bleed screw and squeeze until the air bubbles are gone and the fuel flows freely. Try to start the engine. Good luck. Al