Found a burnt S3??

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Surveyor

In my search for parts at the local yards I came across a burnt up S3??. I didn't have much time to look at it but I could see that the motor caught fire and burnt up the back pretty bad. looked like everything was there except the bucket. It had 2 good tilt and lift cylinders on the front and all the axles were still there. A few tires were missing. The guy wants $1000 for it. It looked like it had glass windows around the cab at one time. Would this be something I could buy and rebuild or sell parts off of to make a small profit? What do you think???

Bobcatdan

I'll guess an S300 or maybe a 330. Mostly crap build up on top of the turbo and exhaust manifold, sadly kinda common. $1000 probably isn't a bad gamble, but I'm not a gambling man. I hate fire machines with a passion because it always turns into way more then one would think to get running. Also I haven seen many times, a machine was set on fire on purpose because of a costly repair needed. Set it fire, collect insurance and get a new machine.

bobcatguy

I don't think you'll get rich but you should be able to make a few bucks on it if you're willing to do the work. The Cab/ROPS is a popular item. The key panel and hour meter are also pretty popular. The quick attach is worth about $500 used. The boom is valuable as you will occasionally find one with a cracked boom even on that series. The control valve is valuable. I'd think the control valve and quick attach would get you your money back. If it has power quick attach and the cylinder is in decent shape you should be able to get your money back out of that and the quick attach itself. If the lift cylinders didn't get burnt up (odds are the seals are shot) you'll be in good shape. I think I'd go for it myself but you need to have the tools to dismantle the machine.

pennyduke

I don't think you'll get rich but you should be able to make a few bucks on it if you're willing to do the work. The Cab/ROPS is a popular item. The key panel and hour meter are also pretty popular. The quick attach is worth about $500 used. The boom is valuable as you will occasionally find one with a cracked boom even on that series. The control valve is valuable. I'd think the control valve and quick attach would get you your money back. If it has power quick attach and the cylinder is in decent shape you should be able to get your money back out of that and the quick attach itself. If the lift cylinders didn't get burnt up (odds are the seals are shot) you'll be in good shape. I think I'd go for it myself but you need to have the tools to dismantle the machine.
Thanks for the comments. I have to finish my 743B rebuild before I can take on anything else. Next week I will take a bunch of pictures of it and get some more details on it. The bad thing about me is that I love to bring things back to life and it will be hard for me to part it out once I get it to my garage. Stay tuned, and thanks again...

Latest posts