Drive belt trying to come off/ shred one

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Black Hills 773

I replaced a drive belt this spring due to it shredding last year. Shortly after replacing, I noticed it slip over a cog(?) on the pump pully.

I'm going to replace the tensioner, because I'm pretty sure thats the cause, but I couldn't find any sources citing a tensioner causing 'tracking' issues.

I was wondering if anyone knows any other parts thst could be to blame.

*edit. It's a 2000 773 Bobcat. 3400 hrs
20230922_114733.jpg

OP
OP
B

Black Hills 773

The belt does stay tight after it slips over a tooth. Once, it popped off. Each time I try putting it back into place it slips right out of place as soon as I start it.

On a side note, the offbrand tensioner is considerably cheaper. I'm not making much money with the machine right now, primarily yard work. Does anyone have an opinion on if cheaper alternative would be justifiable to get less than 100 hours of work done, until I can profit more from the machine.

KyMadMan

Definitely and alignment issue from the looks of things. Are you sure the mounting bolt is tight and that it isn't bent? This is the belt for the blower / cooling fan correct?

foton

you will have to weigh out the price difference, but I would try a aftermarket one, I would suspect that a part like that would be ok vs. a bobcat part.

jambalini

You are correct in thinking it is the main drive belt tensioner pulley causing this. We had one do just the same thing. Replaced tensioner, an the issue went away. I would also get a new fan belt tensioner pulley while you're at it, yours looks like it's seen better days🤗

wateka

The belt does stay tight after it slips over a tooth. Once, it popped off. Each time I try putting it back into place it slips right out of place as soon as I start it.

On a side note, the offbrand tensioner is considerably cheaper. I'm not making much money with the machine right now, primarily yard work. Does anyone have an opinion on if cheaper alternative would be justifiable to get less than 100 hours of work done, until I can profit more from the machine.
If you go the off brand route, i highly recommend that you take it apart to make sure it was assembled correctly. I bought a new off-brand from eBay and took out the bearing that came with it to replace it with a Timken. When I opened the unit up, there was no grease in the seal lip/shaft. I did have to drill and tap the hole for the threaded rod used for tightening.
IMG_0256.jpeg

Latest posts