creeps forward when started

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

jduhamel

I have a 742 bobcat skidsteer. When I start the engine themachine starts 'creeping forward, not in a straight line. I have tried adjusting the controls under the seat, but to no resolve. Any ideas?

Bobcatdan

Steering linkage is worn causing it to be out of adjustment. Without replacement of worn parts, it is pretty hard to set them. Even if you do get it set, it won't stay long before it creeps again.

Tazza

Staff member
Steering linkage is worn causing it to be out of adjustment. Without replacement of worn parts, it is pretty hard to set them. Even if you do get it set, it won't stay long before it creeps again.
Steering%20Adjustment.jpg

http://users.tpg.com.au/tazza_/Steering Adjustment.jpg

wings5j

http://users.tpg.com.au/tazza_/Steering%20Adjustment.jpg
Hi, I have a 742B and this was one of the early issues that I tackled. Tazza and the others on this forum were a great help.
My advice would be to replace the torsion bushings and the pintle cams. They are pretty inexpensive and this will give you a fresh start. The pintle bar can be reversed one time to give you a new side or if it is not too worn, you should be able to smooth it up.
Follow the instructions Tazza posted and remember not to tighten the bolts (they need to pivot during the adjustments) going through the torsion bushings until you have established the neutral position. Then you lock the bolts tight and the twisting of the rubber insert helps return the pintle arm to the neutral position along with the return spring.
Make sure you have all four wheels off the ground while doing the adjustments. Either block it up securely or use some good jackstands. [item 1 of the instructions]
You will find access much easier with your loader raised but be sure and install the safety stop if you have it, or make one yourself. [again, item 1 of the instructions]
It is worth the effort to get rid of the creep! ;-)
John