Connect post pounder to Bobcat T300

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

billmuis

I have just picked up a used Shaver HD-8 post pounder and would like to hook it up to my T300. The Shaver HD-8 basically has a single acting cylinder with a spring return which is controlled by a 3-way valve. The 3-way valve has a pressure relief set at 1500 PSIG. It has a 3/8" supplly hose and a 3/4" return hose. I guess the large return hose is ment to dump the fluid to the tank quickly with minimal restriction as the springs pull the ram down to pound the post. My T300 has 3 flat faced hydraulic connections which I understand to be high flow at the top (largest connection), case drain in the middle (smallest connection) and standard supply at the bottom (mid size connection). I think that all I need to do is connect the standard supply line to the supply side of the post pounder valve and the return from the valve to the case drain connection but I am wondering about the size of the case drain connection. It seems small relative to the post pounder return line which is 3/4" (the hose looks like 1"). Will I have too much restriction when dumping the fluid out of the cylinder and thereby slow down my pounding stroke? Also, can anyone tell me what the T300 hydraulic attachment pressure is at idle? At higher RPM? Is it adjustable? I'm new to skid steer ownership and any advise or experience would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

mrfixitpaul

The middle, smaller coupler is a case drain/return to tank, but probably not designed to handle the flow from the pounder setup. The other 2 larger couplers are both standard and high flow( if you have the option). The flow to these couplers is reversible( by using the thumb switch on the right control lever), but 'normal' flow (pulling the trigger) is pressure on bottom coupler and return on the top coupler, I believe. If the valve on the pounder relieves at 1500psi, anything above that will work, it will just allow the excess pressure to 'dump' to the return line. The machine pressure at idle should be the same as, or at least close to the maximum pressure, which should be around 3000 psi. This is adjustable, by changing the setting on the relief valve, located in the control valve. The flow will vary based on the RPM. You might want to find out what the pounder requires for flow, and try to figure the machine flow (by changing rpm) to limit the amount of excess oil flowing through the pounder, to reduce the heat buildup. If it was me, I wouldn't mess with the pressure setting unless absolutely necessary.

Kermode

The middle, smaller coupler is a case drain/return to tank, but probably not designed to handle the flow from the pounder setup. The other 2 larger couplers are both standard and high flow( if you have the option). The flow to these couplers is reversible( by using the thumb switch on the right control lever), but 'normal' flow (pulling the trigger) is pressure on bottom coupler and return on the top coupler, I believe. If the valve on the pounder relieves at 1500psi, anything above that will work, it will just allow the excess pressure to 'dump' to the return line. The machine pressure at idle should be the same as, or at least close to the maximum pressure, which should be around 3000 psi. This is adjustable, by changing the setting on the relief valve, located in the control valve. The flow will vary based on the RPM. You might want to find out what the pounder requires for flow, and try to figure the machine flow (by changing rpm) to limit the amount of excess oil flowing through the pounder, to reduce the heat buildup. If it was me, I wouldn't mess with the pressure setting unless absolutely necessary.
Why not plumb as big a line as possible into the top of the hyd tank. If I remember correctly there is a plug in the top of the tank. Just run it out front with a big quick coupler and away you go.