Clarification on Bob-tach pins

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Redline

Im in the process of repairing the pins and bushings on the 40 series Bob-tach on my 642b. With it off the machine, I can still see part of what was once the round bushing in the Bob-tach. My question is, is that bushing part of the welded "cap" that the grease zerk threads into, or is it a seperate entity, which was pressed in from the opposite end of the grease fitting? My brother in law is a machinist, and can make me new bushings, but I cannot tell if I will need to cut the "cap" that holds the zerk in off, or if I can crack what is left of the bushing and pull it out the other end? Most of the threads I searched for on this topic are not real clear on this part of it, and the Bobcat manual is not real clear on it either.

Tazza

Staff member
The boss that the grease nipple screws into is welded to the bobtach, there is no easy way to get it out, you need to burn it out (been there done that...) Hopefully the bushing is the only thing that wore and it didn't damage the boss that it is pressed into. Get the old bushing out and measure the boss to see if it's still round or not.

OP
OP
R

Redline

The boss that the grease nipple screws into is welded to the bobtach, there is no easy way to get it out, you need to burn it out (been there done that...) Hopefully the bushing is the only thing that wore and it didn't damage the boss that it is pressed into. Get the old bushing out and measure the boss to see if it's still round or not.
Thanks for the info Tazza. From what I can see of it, the outside looks to be ok, the bushing is quite thin on one side, but does not appear to have gone through it. I have real long carbide burrs for my die grinder, so my plan of attack is to cut a groove in it, and then hit it with the air chisel, in hopes that it cracks and I can pull it out. Otherwise, I will revert to the cuss and burn method. I will let you know how that goes!

Tazza

Staff member
Thanks for the info Tazza. From what I can see of it, the outside looks to be ok, the bushing is quite thin on one side, but does not appear to have gone through it. I have real long carbide burrs for my die grinder, so my plan of attack is to cut a groove in it, and then hit it with the air chisel, in hopes that it cracks and I can pull it out. Otherwise, I will revert to the cuss and burn method. I will let you know how that goes!
I have had success with welding a rod to the bushing and attaching a slide hamemr to it and shocking it out. The carbide bur will work too.
The burn and cuss method comes up far too often for me :(

doger5

I have had success with welding a rod to the bushing and attaching a slide hamemr to it and shocking it out. The carbide bur will work too.
The burn and cuss method comes up far too often for me :(
I used a Dremel and a chisel slow but worked.

OP
OP
R

Redline

I used a Dremel and a chisel slow but worked.
Being an auto tech for the last 20+ years, I have spent alot of money on alot of tools that some guys dont have! Once I get the grease all cleaned out, if I can find some type of lip or edge on the inside, I may even try an internal jaw puller with a bridge to see if I can just pull it out. Doubtful, but worth a try. I was just uncertain if the bushing was part of the "cap" welded to the Bob-tach and if I needed to cut that off.

bobbie-g

Being an auto tech for the last 20+ years, I have spent alot of money on alot of tools that some guys dont have! Once I get the grease all cleaned out, if I can find some type of lip or edge on the inside, I may even try an internal jaw puller with a bridge to see if I can just pull it out. Doubtful, but worth a try. I was just uncertain if the bushing was part of the "cap" welded to the Bob-tach and if I needed to cut that off.
The local Bobcat tech says once you get the bobtach separated from the lift arms, just put the old worn tapered pin back in the bobtach bushing and weld it to the sleeve. Then use a bolt threaded into the tapered pin and whack the tapered pin and sleeve out with a slide-hammer. Haven't tried it yet myself, but that's on the list..... --- And sorry for the long absence from the forum. :) ---Bobbie G.

OP
OP
R

Redline

The local Bobcat tech says once you get the bobtach separated from the lift arms, just put the old worn tapered pin back in the bobtach bushing and weld it to the sleeve. Then use a bolt threaded into the tapered pin and whack the tapered pin and sleeve out with a slide-hammer. Haven't tried it yet myself, but that's on the list..... --- And sorry for the long absence from the forum. :) ---Bobbie G.
Thats a good idea too. I cut a groove through the bushings, then used a small chisel next to the groove and folded the bushing in on itself. Did this a few times around the diameter of it, and pulled them right out with my fingers. At least something went right for me today!