case 1838 dumb question

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

cporath

I have an 1838, and also a dumb question. On the fuel filter it has a valve to release the water from the fuel. first of all, where does the water come from? and second, do I leave the valve open until nothing comes out? I dont want to have to bleed my fuel system again (that wasnt any fun), or do I just let it run until I know it is straight diesel coming out? I looked in my service book, but apparently you are just supposed to know what to do with it. Thanks-chris

frogfarmer

The water will be at the bottom of the filter and unless it is full of water(not likely) you dont need to empty the filter housing. Drain a small amount into a container and check it for water. If water is persent it will look like bubbles in the container. As far as where it comes from all diesel fuel has a small amount of water suspended in its molecules. With temperature changes due to engine heat or atmospheric changes the water can seperate and condense inside the fuel tank and then pass to the filter. Also poor fuel handling can introduce water into the system. Check your service manual for the proper procedure to eleminate air in the system after a filter service so your injection pump doesnt airlock.

OP
OP
C

cporath

The water will be at the bottom of the filter and unless it is full of water(not likely) you dont need to empty the filter housing. Drain a small amount into a container and check it for water. If water is persent it will look like bubbles in the container. As far as where it comes from all diesel fuel has a small amount of water suspended in its molecules. With temperature changes due to engine heat or atmospheric changes the water can seperate and condense inside the fuel tank and then pass to the filter. Also poor fuel handling can introduce water into the system. Check your service manual for the proper procedure to eleminate air in the system after a filter service so your injection pump doesnt airlock.
thanks for the quick reply frogfarmer. That is what I have been doing, I just wasnt checking it for water after draining...I will have to try that.