C190 has no drive

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Daewoo

First off, great forum you have going here! There seems to be a shortage of new holland info out there. I was glad to find it! I have a C190 with about 700 hard hours on it (we use it in a quarry and skid steers get beat to death out there). The other day it blew a bunch of hydraulic fluid out the bottom. Refilled it so we could get the arms up and locked. When they started it after the refill the fluid started running out immediately (sitting still and without moving the arms) and it was extremely aerated (to the point it looked white). We got the arms up and locked and pressure washed the floor pan so we could see what was down there. The guys found that a return line had pulled off the back of the reservoir. Re-attached the line, put the thing back together, refilled the system. When we restarted it, the drive on it was barely functional. It would go extremely slowly and with no power. I assumed there was some air still in the system and told them to drive it around a little bit and see if it improved. Instead it got worse and now it is at the point that it will only go forward/back maybe 2 ft, extremely slow, then stalls out. If you keep pushing the levers forward after it has stalled the low pressure light come on within about 5 seconds, but when you let off the handles the light goes right back out. I want to attach a couple of disclaimers here. First, I am not convinced that the return line pulled off the back of the tank was the problem to begin with and wonder if maybe the guys inadvertently pulled it when they were working on it. If the return line was off to begin with, when we poured fluid in to get the arms up it seems likely that it would have all just run right out the big 1" hole at the back of the tank, so would have started leaking BEFORE we started it back up. Second, it seemed EXTREMELY clear to me that the leak was coming from somewhere under the engine, not from under the battery. If not for the fact that the suction lines are visible, seem to be fine, and dont appear to have filters/strainers in line, I would almost bet it was a suction problem (blockage). As is I am a little stuck. The only thing I can really think of is that maybe it is a return side problem...a problem at the manifold or a pinched primary return line somewhere??? I am shooting in the dark here. Could a return side problem on the drives cause cavitation in teh pump and thus aeration of the oil? Also, in one of the parts diagrams on the new holland site it shows a "resonator" but it does not look like any hydraulic resonator I have ever seen (it looks like a manifold with a sensor or actuator sitting on top of it from the admittedly unclear drawing). Thanks in advance for any help!

Tazza

Staff member
Is it a direct drive or belt driven setup to the pump? i'm just wondering if the problem could be a slipping drive belt due to being covered in oil?
Does the lift and tilt still operate normally?

OP
OP
D

Daewoo

Is it a direct drive or belt driven setup to the pump? i'm just wondering if the problem could be a slipping drive belt due to being covered in oil?
Does the lift and tilt still operate normally?
It is direct drive....pumps mount directly to back of engine. The lift and tilt seem to operate fine. It is just the drive that is the problem.

Tazza

Staff member
It is direct drive....pumps mount directly to back of engine. The lift and tilt seem to operate fine. It is just the drive that is the problem.
I have no idea about this machine, but you should start by checking your charge pressure. There should be a sender somewhere for this. Possibly on your main hydraulic filter housing. The pressure should be around 100PSI if its down, it could explain the drive issues, but not the cause of the problems.

OP
OP
D

Daewoo

I have no idea about this machine, but you should start by checking your charge pressure. There should be a sender somewhere for this. Possibly on your main hydraulic filter housing. The pressure should be around 100PSI if its down, it could explain the drive issues, but not the cause of the problems.
I ended up calling the local dealer and they said......they think it is the charge pump, so +2 points for Tazza!!
Unfortunately they were supposed to pick it up yesterday and did not. And they did not show up today. They say they need to get it into their shop to tip the cab to repair it. After asking around, the locals say I will be lucky if they get it in a week, and VERY lucky if it is repaired in 2 weeks.
I realy dont understand that. Granted it is nice to work in a heated shop in Kansas in Jan, but not 2 weeks ago I did a 90 degree tilt on a caterpillar 963 and rebuild the hydro on it on a piece of half inch plate that was sitting on 2 rocks. I am having trouble imagining a skid steer can be that much worse.
Are these things really that hard to work on?? I am considering telling them to forget about it and tearing into it myself tomorrow and seeing what I can find and then if I cant find anything, hauling it back to the folks we bought it from (they were on the ball people).
Are there any pitfalls I have to look out for there? I have more experience than I would like working on heavy machinery. Is a skid steer really that different????

Tazza

Staff member
I ended up calling the local dealer and they said......they think it is the charge pump, so +2 points for Tazza!!
Unfortunately they were supposed to pick it up yesterday and did not. And they did not show up today. They say they need to get it into their shop to tip the cab to repair it. After asking around, the locals say I will be lucky if they get it in a week, and VERY lucky if it is repaired in 2 weeks.
I realy dont understand that. Granted it is nice to work in a heated shop in Kansas in Jan, but not 2 weeks ago I did a 90 degree tilt on a caterpillar 963 and rebuild the hydro on it on a piece of half inch plate that was sitting on 2 rocks. I am having trouble imagining a skid steer can be that much worse.
Are these things really that hard to work on?? I am considering telling them to forget about it and tearing into it myself tomorrow and seeing what I can find and then if I cant find anything, hauling it back to the folks we bought it from (they were on the ball people).
Are there any pitfalls I have to look out for there? I have more experience than I would like working on heavy machinery. Is a skid steer really that different????
I don't believe skid steers are all that difficult, access can be hard as some things are tightly packed in, but over all, its really not that bad. If you have had experience with earth moving gear, you should be ok. You just need to know where to look for the problem.
I'd personally have a look, see if you can find the charge pump if its a seperate unit, as bobcat use the main hydraulic pump as a charge pump too. It could simply be a broken shaft,

OP
OP
D

Daewoo

I don't believe skid steers are all that difficult, access can be hard as some things are tightly packed in, but over all, its really not that bad. If you have had experience with earth moving gear, you should be ok. You just need to know where to look for the problem.
I'd personally have a look, see if you can find the charge pump if its a seperate unit, as bobcat use the main hydraulic pump as a charge pump too. It could simply be a broken shaft,
Thanks. I will tear into it today. Meant to do it yesterday and then had a crusher go down which took priority.
My plan is to go ahead and tilt the cab so I have good access and then follow the charge system, starting at the reservoir, and see what I can find. The tech from new holland confirmed that I am losing charge pressure which, if I am understanding things right, could mean a blocked screen somewhere, a stuck bypass/pressure release, or a bad charge pump.
The charge pump seems to be integrated with the main pump on this thing and I am thinking that if that turns out to be the problem I might just pull the entire pump assembly and rebuild the whole thing. It is probably getting close to time anyway and I hate to have it on the bench and then put it back in less than 100% condition.