Building my bobtach

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

shawn macananny

Thanks, The parts were all drawn in a cad cam program and cut out on a plasma so the holes were cut out at the same time. Drilling the holes with a mag drill works fine just remember to make the holes bigger to allow for welding warping and movement. That allows for floating the part (bushing).
I was really impressed with the bobtach then i watched your video for your Cummins engine. You are incredible. That's all i can say.

wings5j

I was really impressed with the bobtach then i watched your video for your Cummins engine. You are incredible. That's all i can say.
Yes, showing the steps in building the Bobtach are great but I too appreciated the link to the engine building project.
On a positive note, I think I will have my wife watch so that she sees how much my shop is really lacking. ;-) I still do all of my cutting with an oxy/acetelyne set-up or bandsaw or chopsaw.
Thanks,
John

OP
OP
R

renopker

Yes, showing the steps in building the Bobtach are great but I too appreciated the link to the engine building project.
On a positive note, I think I will have my wife watch so that she sees how much my shop is really lacking. ;-) I still do all of my cutting with an oxy/acetelyne set-up or bandsaw or chopsaw.
Thanks,
John
Nothing wrong with a torch grinder,chop saw and saws-all ,been there done that. Heres todays progress # is of the bored tube in place & welded,
DSC00008-5.jpg

Tazza

Staff member
Nice job, the way i did mine was slightly different. I had to cut those bosses out as they were really worn. I made new ones and installed everything including the pins in the arms, the pins held the bosses straight, i then welded the bosses into place. The pins did a good job holding the bosses straight. They did move a little bit when i took the bobtach off and welded around the ends to give it a good join. Taking a little off the bushings fixed the small amount of binding it had. I think i left my tollerences too tight in the first place, not allowing quite enough clearance for the grease, i think it was only .005 to .008"

OP
OP
R

renopker

Nice job, the way i did mine was slightly different. I had to cut those bosses out as they were really worn. I made new ones and installed everything including the pins in the arms, the pins held the bosses straight, i then welded the bosses into place. The pins did a good job holding the bosses straight. They did move a little bit when i took the bobtach off and welded around the ends to give it a good join. Taking a little off the bushings fixed the small amount of binding it had. I think i left my tollerences too tight in the first place, not allowing quite enough clearance for the grease, i think it was only .005 to .008"
So you used the arms as your fixture, no set rule I like the long bar on short bushings. The interesting thing is when I cut through there was no binding and no movement I was a pleasantly surprised as well.

Tazza

Staff member
So you used the arms as your fixture, no set rule I like the long bar on short bushings. The interesting thing is when I cut through there was no binding and no movement I was a pleasantly surprised as well.
Yeah, i found it did work pretty well, but if i was able to do a full length like yours, i can see it holding up a little better as it would have held while i did my final welds that made it twist slightly.
Its a great feeling when you put things together after a big weld and they still line up as they should. Too often they move just a little too much.

OP
OP
R

renopker

Yeah, i found it did work pretty well, but if i was able to do a full length like yours, i can see it holding up a little better as it would have held while i did my final welds that made it twist slightly.
Its a great feeling when you put things together after a big weld and they still line up as they should. Too often they move just a little too much.
Finished the bobtach today It will be sand blasted and powder coated as soon as I get the cylinders modified, still need heat treat the wedge pins as well.
DSC00006a-1.jpg
DSC00005a-1.jpg

Tazza

Staff member
Finished the bobtach today It will be sand blasted and powder coated as soon as I get the cylinders modified, still need heat treat the wedge pins as well.
I like your table. Sure would save the back on a lot of jobs.