Bobcat T650 - Final Drive Motors and Hydrostatic Pump failure at 1200 Hrs

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Mcdady218

Do keep us informed, i really hope you get them to help out.
This sounds eerily similar and I'm not sure this is entirely related, but somehow I suspect it's a more systemic issue with these units. I too have a 2011 T650 that I purchased new from my local Bobcat dealer. I have followed he recommended service intervals prescribed in the owner's manual. All of the service has been performed at the dealer despite the highly overpriced shop rates. In December of 2013 I dropped the unit off for service upon the conclusion of landscape operations for the year. The unit had 259 hours on it at that time. And yes, we use this machine sparingly and what I would consider "lightly" as compared to industry averages. The machine was serviced and given a "very tight" label by the service manager. In the last week I found an opening in our schedule, and considering the unit now has 506 hours I felt it was best to complete the 500 hour service interval. On Tuesday I dropped the unit off for service and later yesterday the service manager calls me to inform me that when the tech went to change the oil in the final drive motors, the right side was found to be "bone dry". He further felt that the failure occurred when a seal or O ring failed causing the oil to drain out. Further, he felt it happened in the last 20 hours given the motor and hydro system had yet to come apart. The problem he stated is that the unit went out warranty at end of July 2014. Go figure! So, the plan at this point is to remove the final drive motor and associated parts to replace the seals and bearings while examining the final drive motor and hydro system in hopes that it can be reassembled and disaster avoided. So we will see. And oh, the Bobcat rep has yet to determine if they will cover any of these repairs under warranty. Not holding my breath considering the issue I recently had with a 2014 Bobcat Brushcat that would make a better glass of lemonade than a brush cutter. So I, like you will be selling all of my attachments, E65 and T650 (all purchased new). I should mention that ALL of these have either bolts fall out, hydro lines come lose, parts fall off etc... shortly after putting them into service. At first, I was thinking it was my bad luck. But now, I'm convinced it's POOR craftsmanship!!!

Tazza

Staff member
This sounds eerily similar and I'm not sure this is entirely related, but somehow I suspect it's a more systemic issue with these units. I too have a 2011 T650 that I purchased new from my local Bobcat dealer. I have followed he recommended service intervals prescribed in the owner's manual. All of the service has been performed at the dealer despite the highly overpriced shop rates. In December of 2013 I dropped the unit off for service upon the conclusion of landscape operations for the year. The unit had 259 hours on it at that time. And yes, we use this machine sparingly and what I would consider "lightly" as compared to industry averages. The machine was serviced and given a "very tight" label by the service manager. In the last week I found an opening in our schedule, and considering the unit now has 506 hours I felt it was best to complete the 500 hour service interval. On Tuesday I dropped the unit off for service and later yesterday the service manager calls me to inform me that when the tech went to change the oil in the final drive motors, the right side was found to be "bone dry". He further felt that the failure occurred when a seal or O ring failed causing the oil to drain out. Further, he felt it happened in the last 20 hours given the motor and hydro system had yet to come apart. The problem he stated is that the unit went out warranty at end of July 2014. Go figure! So, the plan at this point is to remove the final drive motor and associated parts to replace the seals and bearings while examining the final drive motor and hydro system in hopes that it can be reassembled and disaster avoided. So we will see. And oh, the Bobcat rep has yet to determine if they will cover any of these repairs under warranty. Not holding my breath considering the issue I recently had with a 2014 Bobcat Brushcat that would make a better glass of lemonade than a brush cutter. So I, like you will be selling all of my attachments, E65 and T650 (all purchased new). I should mention that ALL of these have either bolts fall out, hydro lines come lose, parts fall off etc... shortly after putting them into service. At first, I was thinking it was my bad luck. But now, I'm convinced it's POOR craftsmanship!!!
This story isn't getting any better..... It is looking more and more like a manufacturing issue. Evenw ith all the work done by the dealer and on time, there are still failures. I thought these drive motors were sorted out. The earlier ones had issues with failing, but they were repaired, or so i thought.
The soecial synthetic oil is meant to keep the bearings lubricated, and i assume the seals too so it should not fail like that.
I'm hoping you have a good outcome, hopefully you have a better rep than sunshine237 does

OP
OP
S

sunshine237

This story isn't getting any better..... It is looking more and more like a manufacturing issue. Evenw ith all the work done by the dealer and on time, there are still failures. I thought these drive motors were sorted out. The earlier ones had issues with failing, but they were repaired, or so i thought.
The soecial synthetic oil is meant to keep the bearings lubricated, and i assume the seals too so it should not fail like that.
I'm hoping you have a good outcome, hopefully you have a better rep than sunshine237 does
Update: Still no response from from Bobcat for repair. Filing with the BBB and will contact Lori Swanson, Attorney General of Minnesota.

Tazza

Staff member
Did you do the certified letter with return recipte if so do it again to the CO
Sadly the only way for them to actaully take you seriously is with lawyers. If it is just a letter from you, they can ignore it...