Bobcat s185

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Bobcats185

I'm looking at buying a new bobcat s185, and I was wondering if anyone has had any major problems with them?

Tazza

Staff member
I haven't heard anything bad about them, but i have never operated one either.

BPS

I haven't heard anything bad about them, but i have never operated one either.
I have a new s185... 65 hours on it. No problems. Good all around machine, not too big, not too small. I have what was the gold package...air, enclosed cab, suspension seat, power bob tach.

thetool

New Bobcats are great machines, especially the S185, which is the main workhorse wheeled machine, like the 743 and 763, but with vertical lift.
If you're the type who buys a machine with max warranty and drives hell out of it and trades in every two years, they'll love you as well.
If you want to keep it for a long time, and tinker yourself, keep it running and do your own repairs, think again. At least, consider going with straight mechanical pedals and staying away from ACS and SJC. They'll offer these options to you relatively cheap because they'll get it back tenfold in authorized dealer-only repairs. I predict resale value on straight mechanical foot pedal machines will be higher than like-equipped SJC or ACS machines, when folks realize how costly the repairs on these systems can be, and how few choices they have to get them repaired.
I hope this changes. I always felt Bobcat catered and appealed to the little guy, but it seems they and the dealers have gone berserk with the technology and the prospect of raking in mega-bucks with their proprietary systems and tools.
There are still simpler machines available that are less costly to aquire and own.

Tazza

Staff member
New Bobcats are great machines, especially the S185, which is the main workhorse wheeled machine, like the 743 and 763, but with vertical lift.
If you're the type who buys a machine with max warranty and drives hell out of it and trades in every two years, they'll love you as well.
If you want to keep it for a long time, and tinker yourself, keep it running and do your own repairs, think again. At least, consider going with straight mechanical pedals and staying away from ACS and SJC. They'll offer these options to you relatively cheap because they'll get it back tenfold in authorized dealer-only repairs. I predict resale value on straight mechanical foot pedal machines will be higher than like-equipped SJC or ACS machines, when folks realize how costly the repairs on these systems can be, and how few choices they have to get them repaired.
I hope this changes. I always felt Bobcat catered and appealed to the little guy, but it seems they and the dealers have gone berserk with the technology and the prospect of raking in mega-bucks with their proprietary systems and tools.
There are still simpler machines available that are less costly to aquire and own.
Very true, if its just for home use you should look for smoething a little easier to service. If you fry a computer or add a feature you need to go to the dealer for them to attach it to a laptop and program it. Sure, the new *features* are nice, but when it comes to servicing, you would seriously regret it. Some i'm sure work great their whole lives, but i remember someone in here with had all wheel steer machine that spent more time in the shop than on the job. All under warranty, but warranty will eventually run out and YOU will have to foot the bill.

OP
OP
B

Bobcats185

Very true, if its just for home use you should look for smoething a little easier to service. If you fry a computer or add a feature you need to go to the dealer for them to attach it to a laptop and program it. Sure, the new *features* are nice, but when it comes to servicing, you would seriously regret it. Some i'm sure work great their whole lives, but i remember someone in here with had all wheel steer machine that spent more time in the shop than on the job. All under warranty, but warranty will eventually run out and YOU will have to foot the bill.
It won't just be for home use I will be using it almost everyday of the year between landscaping jobs in the summer and snow plowing jobs in the winter.