Bobcat brand battery lasts only 2 years - better replacements?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Wild-bobcat S205

I have a 2007 S205 and it seems that I only ever get about 2 years out of a bobcat battery. I just had one die on me again. I'm getting sick of replacing my battery and wondering if anyone has had better luck with a different brand battery. I use my machine for a lot of odd jobs around the farm and the terrain is fairly rough. I probably need something with higher CCA than the 600 that comes with bobcat brand battery. Is there a specific type that would work better. Any help would be great! :)

[email protected]

i got mine at napa, seems to be pretty high quality. keep in mind that if a battery dies and then freezes it is junk. also keep in mind that a bad alternator can ruin a battery, and a bad battery can ruin an alternator.

Tazza

Staff member
i got mine at napa, seems to be pretty high quality. keep in mind that if a battery dies and then freezes it is junk. also keep in mind that a bad alternator can ruin a battery, and a bad battery can ruin an alternator.
My dad got me a special earth moving battery for my 743, it was a bonded element, it is meant to be able to handle the impacts of driving on rough ground better. With that said, i am running a standard auto battery in my S150 and it works just as well as it did when i installed it, 3+ years ago.
I think the secret is to keep it charged, don't let it go flat. They really don't like being flattened.

billrbg

My dad got me a special earth moving battery for my 743, it was a bonded element, it is meant to be able to handle the impacts of driving on rough ground better. With that said, i am running a standard auto battery in my S150 and it works just as well as it did when i installed it, 3+ years ago.
I think the secret is to keep it charged, don't let it go flat. They really don't like being flattened.
I have had good luck with one from Costco in my 743. I don't even have it fastened down, and I beat the hell out of the B'cat breaking and climbing over concrete. Every time I tilt it up at a 45 degree angle I'm glad there are 9 qts. of oil in the engine!

Bobcatdan

I have had good luck with one from Costco in my 743. I don't even have it fastened down, and I beat the hell out of the B'cat breaking and climbing over concrete. Every time I tilt it up at a 45 degree angle I'm glad there are 9 qts. of oil in the engine!
Bobcat batteries are actually pretty good. They are made my excide who is the supplier for a number of other OEMs. First off, the bobcat battery is a maintance battery, how many times did you check the water levels? I'd say the bobcat batteries on average lasted 5 to 8 years from what I saw. As stated earlier, bobcat batteries have bonded plates to hold everything together inside. Heat is the #1 killer of batteries, #2 is vibration. The normal bouncing around of a skidsteer can be hard on a car battery.

reaperman

A lot of people swear by using a "battery tender" on their units. Added life expectancy for a battery is one claimed benefit. I recently got one for the cold Idle periods my machine sits over the winter. I cant say for sure if its doing what it claims yet or not. But as I write this, its currently -23F outside and not much warmer in my un-heated shop. But presently having the tender hooked up on cold nights like this make me feel more confident my battery isn't draining.

[email protected]

A lot of people swear by using a "battery tender" on their units. Added life expectancy for a battery is one claimed benefit. I recently got one for the cold Idle periods my machine sits over the winter. I cant say for sure if its doing what it claims yet or not. But as I write this, its currently -23F outside and not much warmer in my un-heated shop. But presently having the tender hooked up on cold nights like this make me feel more confident my battery isn't draining.
i have one of those in my dump trailer. it charges then once full it maintains it. i think it pulsates the energy or something like that to keep it full.

unclebill

i have one of those in my dump trailer. it charges then once full it maintains it. i think it pulsates the energy or something like that to keep it full.
In my 743 I use the big batteries from NAPA like they use in school buses and motorhomes. In buses they hook 4 of them together in parallel. Measure your battery tray and put in the biggest battery that'll fit. My battery usually lasts 4-5 years. B

brdgbldr

I get my batteries from Interstate Battery. They actually have a list for Bobcat replacements and I have never had a problem with them.

lesgawlik

I get my batteries from Interstate Battery. They actually have a list for Bobcat replacements and I have never had a problem with them.
I use a solar charger. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B004Q820TQ/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1 I put one on top of the hangar to keep the airplane battery charged, and it has worked fantastically well for more than 2 years. I've had one on the T200 about 6 months. It's much more expensive than a small electric charger, but it works where there isn't convenient house power.

Warwagonness

I have a 2007 S205 and it seems that I only ever get about 2 years out of a bobcat battery. I just had one die on me again. I'm getting sick of replacing my battery and wondering if anyone has had better luck with a different brand battery. I use my machine for a lot of odd jobs around the farm and the terrain is fairly rough. I probably need something with higher CCA than the 600 that comes with bobcat brand battery. Is there a specific type that would work better. Any help would be great! :)
I put the Interstate battery that my machine called for on my JD250 .Just go to Interstate batteries .com and put in your machine year /make/model it will guide you - to your next battery. I didnt even get the highest priced battery , I got the 2nd in line $178.00. It lasted me 5yrs! No BS! I live high in the CO Rockies. Freezing weather no battery tender and still had that kind of longevity~ i was so pleased ~ I just replaced it with the same battery _ hope the quality still remains. hope this helps!