bobcat 743 seat bar

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

kyosho

1987 bobcat 743. The seat bar - the safety bar you swing down in front of you - on mine it wont stay in the up position. Are there springs or something on it that might be missing? What is it that is supposed to keep it in the up position? I have mine held with a bungee cord right now. Thanks!

OP
OP
K

kyosho

I would also add there mine DOES have some small springs on bushings between the bar and the an oddly shaped spacer. I just looked at the parts online and it appears all the parts are there. Does it need to be tightened or something?

antfarmer2

I would also add there mine DOES have some small springs on bushings between the bar and the an oddly shaped spacer. I just looked at the parts online and it appears all the parts are there. Does it need to be tightened or something?
mine does the same thing I just keep a bungee cord up there

reaperman

Im with Antfarmer, these springs have a lifespan. Most machines from that era have some sort of contraption to hold the seat bar from falling down. My old 642 had a bungee also.

[email protected]

Im with Antfarmer, these springs have a lifespan. Most machines from that era have some sort of contraption to hold the seat bar from falling down. My old 642 had a bungee also.
mine still holds fine, i'd like to buy the kit with the nitrogen shock though. much smoother.

Tazza

Staff member
mine still holds fine, i'd like to buy the kit with the nitrogen shock though. much smoother.
As mentioned, the springs do loose tension over time, i also found the plates that hold pressure on the seat bar pivot wear too. Some times you need to weld them up a little to get them to hold, i have heard of people putting a gas strut on them before.

wings5j

As mentioned, the springs do loose tension over time, i also found the plates that hold pressure on the seat bar pivot wear too. Some times you need to weld them up a little to get them to hold, i have heard of people putting a gas strut on them before.
My 742B had the same problem when I got it. The factory parts (esp. the springs) were not very expensive and quick to replace. One thing I noticed, was that the new springs were heavier than the old ones and appeared to be a product improvement from original.
I also had to do the welding that Tazza mentioned to bring the wear surface back to original. Since then, though I have not had any problems and the system works very well with no hassles.
In my opinion, it is worth fixing and geting it back to original configuration but bungee chords are pretty cheap and quick too :)
John

jim743

My 742B had the same problem when I got it. The factory parts (esp. the springs) were not very expensive and quick to replace. One thing I noticed, was that the new springs were heavier than the old ones and appeared to be a product improvement from original.
I also had to do the welding that Tazza mentioned to bring the wear surface back to original. Since then, though I have not had any problems and the system works very well with no hassles.
In my opinion, it is worth fixing and geting it back to original configuration but bungee chords are pretty cheap and quick too :)
John
Mine had actually worn through the wall of the pipe where that triangular piece makes contact. I had to remove the bar and build it up with weld. I also bent the corners of the triangle piece over some more.

Latest posts