Bobcat 610 Drive Sheave Removal

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

bfarroo

I've spend a few hours reading any posts I can find on the subject and still haven't been able to get the drive sheave removed from the motor. I've removed all of the outer hydraulic bits and am down to just the sheave attached to the motor. I've remove the bolt from the center and have installed a different bolt with the center countersunk. I have put 2 bolts on the two holes on the sheave and a bearing splitter over those and then used a 3 jaw puller to attempt to pull the sheave with not luck. I just end up shearing off the bolt heads. I've tried putting pressure on the puller then hitting the end with a hammer, I've tried tapping up and down on the sheave with a deadblow, I've soaked everything in penetrating oil, even turned the sheave so the keyway was up,made a plug for the outside of the sheave and filled it with penetrating oil and let it soak for a week. Is there something I'm doing wrong or is it just that rusted?

thynes

I have a M600 so the drive is the same. You are not doing anything wrong, it is just stuck on there TIGHT. You have a taper fit on this shave/shaft. Taper fits can be stubborn, but I don't have to tell you that. I have had a few stubborn flywheels in the past. A technique I have used with success involves heat. Put the puller on and tighten it up as much as you dare, then add heat. I used a MAPP gas torch. Go around the center section and heat evenly, eventually the flywheel pops off, suddenly, and scares the crap out of you. Now the only problem I can see with you doing this is perhaps you would overheat the area near the crankshaft seal and the seal may be damaged. If you keep the heat localized to the sheave you should be OK. You may also want to give it a whack with a hammer after you give it some heat. Heat will be your friend here, I think...

Beekeeper

If you are working on the variable speed hydraulic drive sheave there are a couple of snap rings that you first must remove to get the sheave to slide off the shaft. There is a small snap ring and a larger snap ring, refer to page 3-16 of the service manual if you have one.

6brnorma

If you are working on the variable speed hydraulic drive sheave there are a couple of snap rings that you first must remove to get the sheave to slide off the shaft. There is a small snap ring and a larger snap ring, refer to page 3-16 of the service manual if you have one.
Sounds like you're following the correct procedure…….a couple of things…..and please don't throw anything at me for asking. First…..when you pulled the bolt into the crank……you did remove a washer with it and not replace it? and second when you placed the two small bolts in the side for the 'bearing splitter'….they were short enough that they did not bottom out onto the crank? If you were careful with that…….then heat and more heat and a rubber mallet as mentioned.

6brnorma

Sounds like you're following the correct procedure…….a couple of things…..and please don't throw anything at me for asking. First…..when you pulled the bolt into the crank……you did remove a washer with it and not replace it? and second when you placed the two small bolts in the side for the 'bearing splitter'….they were short enough that they did not bottom out onto the crank? If you were careful with that…….then heat and more heat and a rubber mallet as mentioned.
Another silly question on my part…….that takes a fairly large 3-jaw puller to reach all the way to the bearing splitter……are you sure the pressure screw is small enough to pass through the bolt hole in the sheave? Sorry, just thinking out loud.

njclimber

Another silly question on my part…….that takes a fairly large 3-jaw puller to reach all the way to the bearing splitter……are you sure the pressure screw is small enough to pass through the bolt hole in the sheave? Sorry, just thinking out loud.
I need help with my drive pulley, i dont have any snap rings or the plastic woodruff keys, does anyone have information on this set up. Owatonna 1400/ vh4d driver pulley assembly. Thanks!

6brnorma

I need help with my drive pulley, i dont have any snap rings or the plastic woodruff keys, does anyone have information on this set up. Owatonna 1400/ vh4d driver pulley assembly. Thanks!
njclimber……you've really lost me. I don't know of anything on a VH4D that uses 'plastic' woodruff keys and I don't know what a Owatonna 1400 is. I even googled Owatonna small engines and nada…… help me out.

njclimber

njclimber……you've really lost me. I don't know of anything on a VH4D that uses 'plastic' woodruff keys and I don't know what a Owatonna 1400 is. I even googled Owatonna small engines and nada…… help me out.
I didnt have any snap rings holding the drive pulley on the shaft. I'm looking to see if anyone has manual or diagram to see what and where these snap rings belong. My pulley slipped off the shaft the second i pulled on it. Im going to take pics and post them somewhere for show and tell.

njclimber

I didnt have any snap rings holding the drive pulley on the shaft. I'm looking to see if anyone has manual or diagram to see what and where these snap rings belong. My pulley slipped off the shaft the second i pulled on it. Im going to take pics and post them somewhere for show and tell.
http://njhomebiz.com/mechanical/woodruff.jpeg http://njhomebiz.com/mechanical/keys.jpeg http://njhomebiz.com/mechanical/sheave.jpeg http://njhomebiz.com/mechanical/sheave1.jpeg http://njhomebiz.com/mechanical/roto.jpeg

njclimber

http://njhomebiz.com/mechanical/woodruff.jpeg http://njhomebiz.com/mechanical/keys.jpeg http://njhomebiz.com/mechanical/sheave.jpeg http://njhomebiz.com/mechanical/sheave1.jpeg http://njhomebiz.com/mechanical/roto.jpeg
Let me know if the links work.

thynes

I couldn't make it work……skid or someone will come along and make it work for us.
I can see the individual pictures, but I needed to copy, and open each individual .jpg in an additional window. Tim in Mass

6brnorma

I can see the individual pictures, but I needed to copy, and open each individual .jpg in an additional window. Tim in Mass
Well NJ…….that is certainly interesting. I thought I'd seen every sheave assembly Bobcat had made but I've never seen that one and I can't find it in any manuals. Are you running a VH4D Wisconsin? Are you sure you have a M-610. Honestly…..that sheave looks very similar to a couple of snowmobile sheaves I've seen. Wonder if someone has done a repower and a sheave exchange or if it came in a M-610 at one time.

6brnorma

Well NJ…….that is certainly interesting. I thought I'd seen every sheave assembly Bobcat had made but I've never seen that one and I can't find it in any manuals. Are you running a VH4D Wisconsin? Are you sure you have a M-610. Honestly…..that sheave looks very similar to a couple of snowmobile sheaves I've seen. Wonder if someone has done a repower and a sheave exchange or if it came in a M-610 at one time.
OK…..think I found it. In an old M-444 manual they have an exploded view of a variable speed drive sheave assembly that I believe is the one you have. A footnote says that machines with S/N 1851 to 2393 were equipped with variable sheave assembles parts #15A348 or #15A395. The sheaves and cylinder on these machines have been discontinued. This is an old manual so if they were already discontinued at the time of printing……your sheave is really old M-440 and early M-444 type old. I have never personally seen one of these…….interesting the huge number of moving parts compared to the later sheave. Can you find a serial number on your machine so we can determine what model it is for sure?

njclimber

OK…..think I found it. In an old M-444 manual they have an exploded view of a variable speed drive sheave assembly that I believe is the one you have. A footnote says that machines with S/N 1851 to 2393 were equipped with variable sheave assembles parts #15A348 or #15A395. The sheaves and cylinder on these machines have been discontinued. This is an old manual so if they were already discontinued at the time of printing……your sheave is really old M-440 and early M-444 type old. I have never personally seen one of these…….interesting the huge number of moving parts compared to the later sheave. Can you find a serial number on your machine so we can determine what model it is for sure?
Its omc 1200, Not a bobcat. Will get serials, will post under mustang. Thank you for your response.

njclimber

Thanks tim. I put them directly on the server with no executing script, hoping the browser does the grunt work,

ACGuy

I'm working on my M600 right now and came across this thread. My 600 has been sitting for a few years. I got a newer skid steer and parked this one because it has issues I couldn't take care of at the time. It needs a flywheel. And I'm not sure what size that big ol nut is holding it on. Don't have anything to get a solid hold on it. Would you happen to know how big a socket or wrench it is? Gonna try and turn it too. It got a rotten muffler so I wanna make sure the engine isn't locked. Thanks 👍