Am I expecting too much, or really not getting enough?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

jklingel

I know where some of your minds are going; get back to skid steers. My new 332 seems as though it is a bit sick at times. It just seems to me that it ought to have more power than it does, and I don't know if that is just how it is, the operator being naive, or what. For exs: (1) I was just digging out some old sod (brome grass) and it seemed like when the bucket was getting sort of full it bogged down too much. I was cutting a depth of about 6-8" to make sure I got the roots out (I hope). (2) Sometimes when I am back-dragging in real soft stuff, where I've been sinking in several inches and want to fill the ruts back in as I leave, it just does not have the whack to it that I think it should (ie, I can't cut a heck of a lot w/ the bucket to fill in the ruts). BTW: This is using an 84" bucket, and I don't run it at WOT too much, as I tend to avoid that on machines (except w/ my boats now and then!) and also because it seems to get a bit jerky/bouncy at real high rpm: that is probably me more than the machine. (3) Pushing over trees, I would expect that it would spin the wheels and bury itself before it stalls, but it often just stalls out (14" tires w/ deep tread). I know this is a tough one to diagnose w/out running the machine, but does anyone have any best guesses as to WTH is going on? Normal? I know these things aren't dozers, but I wish it had more power. Thanks. john

Tazza

Staff member
Being hydrostatic you should be able to get the wheels to spin under load. Don't push the levers all the way forward, ease into it. With my 743 i can push into s tree and get all 4 wheels to spin, it only has 32 odd HP, my 753G will do the same and it had 40 odd HP, i can get all 4 to spin at almost full speed (levers all the way forward). If you can't get the wheels to spin, i'd suspect your engine may need a litle work... It also could just be how your machine is.

Land-Tech

Being hydrostatic you should be able to get the wheels to spin under load. Don't push the levers all the way forward, ease into it. With my 743 i can push into s tree and get all 4 wheels to spin, it only has 32 odd HP, my 753G will do the same and it had 40 odd HP, i can get all 4 to spin at almost full speed (levers all the way forward). If you can't get the wheels to spin, i'd suspect your engine may need a litle work... It also could just be how your machine is.
If it's a newer machine and not wore out, you should be able to spin the wheels easily. Check to see if some aux function isn't on. It could be something as simple as a plumbing screwup done at the factory. Neigbors brand new cat excavator had a performance problem, ending up to be a factory problem.
After looking at the specs, this machine should bury itself at half power. I would go to the dealer and try a similar model at that would give you a hands on comparison. If you notice a difference, it would be back to the dealer for check up. Good luck Scott

OP
OP
J

jklingel

If it's a newer machine and not wore out, you should be able to spin the wheels easily. Check to see if some aux function isn't on. It could be something as simple as a plumbing screwup done at the factory. Neigbors brand new cat excavator had a performance problem, ending up to be a factory problem.
After looking at the specs, this machine should bury itself at half power. I would go to the dealer and try a similar model at that would give you a hands on comparison. If you notice a difference, it would be back to the dealer for check up. Good luck Scott
Thanks for the replies; going to the dealer to try a demo one for a minute may be real informative. Sometimes I can spin out, but not unless it is a bit slick. On dry silt, I was just breaking up some ice lenses, and I stalled a few times, but when I did I was trying to lift or tilt the bucket AND dig farther in. Maybe that is asking too much? As I think it over, that seems to be when I stall. Maybe I just can't do both to the max at the same time. I can have my neighbor come over and run it a bit, too; he has been running SSs for years, Bobcats and Mustangs. He'll probably tell me to crank up the rpm's a tad, too; he likes to MOVE. I am not that coordinated yet.

Tazza

Staff member
Thanks for the replies; going to the dealer to try a demo one for a minute may be real informative. Sometimes I can spin out, but not unless it is a bit slick. On dry silt, I was just breaking up some ice lenses, and I stalled a few times, but when I did I was trying to lift or tilt the bucket AND dig farther in. Maybe that is asking too much? As I think it over, that seems to be when I stall. Maybe I just can't do both to the max at the same time. I can have my neighbor come over and run it a bit, too; he has been running SSs for years, Bobcats and Mustangs. He'll probably tell me to crank up the rpm's a tad, too; he likes to MOVE. I am not that coordinated yet.
You shouldn't have a problem, if you don't push the sticks all the way forward to dig it shouldn't stall. I know with my 743, i can start digging, if i push in hard and lift at the same time with a full load i can stall it when doing say 1/2 throttle. All i do is ease off the sticks a little and its fine. This is on a machine that is is good shape though, re-co engine and strong pump/motors. Its really hard to tell without seeing and hearing it.
If its a late model machine i'd expect it to handle things a lot better, the older ones seemed to be a little under powered. You just had to take it a little easier and they were just fine though.

OP
OP
J

jklingel

You shouldn't have a problem, if you don't push the sticks all the way forward to dig it shouldn't stall. I know with my 743, i can start digging, if i push in hard and lift at the same time with a full load i can stall it when doing say 1/2 throttle. All i do is ease off the sticks a little and its fine. This is on a machine that is is good shape though, re-co engine and strong pump/motors. Its really hard to tell without seeing and hearing it.
If its a late model machine i'd expect it to handle things a lot better, the older ones seemed to be a little under powered. You just had to take it a little easier and they were just fine though.
Taz: The machine has about 250 hrs on it. It's an '04 that sat on a dealer's lot for a while, and I bought it 2 yrs ago w/ 9 hrs on it. I will watch how I operate it more carefully and see if I am just pushing it too much and improperly. I realized tonight that I tend to dig and then tip the bucket up while still pushing forward to dig more. No idea where I got that habit, but I think I better pay more attention and lift/push more instead of curling/push, at least in solid stuff. If I can get my yard in before the rains come, I'll get my neighbor over here, too. Thanks. j

OP
OP
J

jklingel

Taz: The machine has about 250 hrs on it. It's an '04 that sat on a dealer's lot for a while, and I bought it 2 yrs ago w/ 9 hrs on it. I will watch how I operate it more carefully and see if I am just pushing it too much and improperly. I realized tonight that I tend to dig and then tip the bucket up while still pushing forward to dig more. No idea where I got that habit, but I think I better pay more attention and lift/push more instead of curling/push, at least in solid stuff. If I can get my yard in before the rains come, I'll get my neighbor over here, too. Thanks. j
After reading the comments here, I am paying more attention to my technique, and I think the stalling was operator error. I've been digging out undisturbed silt and spinning the wheels w/out bogging down the loader when I get against some real hard stuff. I guess my pushing forward hard while curling the bucket (and possibly lifting it simultaneously) was just asking too much. I'm good to go now. Thanks for the input.

skidsteer.ca

After reading the comments here, I am paying more attention to my technique, and I think the stalling was operator error. I've been digging out undisturbed silt and spinning the wheels w/out bogging down the loader when I get against some real hard stuff. I guess my pushing forward hard while curling the bucket (and possibly lifting it simultaneously) was just asking too much. I'm good to go now. Thanks for the input.
Also, have you recently changed your fuel filters, they can slowly lower you hp when they become block, eventually the engine will get really lazy or quit all together , but this can take several hours and go away so gradually that its tough to notice.
Ken

OP
OP
J

jklingel

Also, have you recently changed your fuel filters, they can slowly lower you hp when they become block, eventually the engine will get really lazy or quit all together , but this can take several hours and go away so gradually that its tough to notice.
Ken
Ken: Good pt. Yes, fuel filters are new. I replaced about 3 sets this winter, as I got some fuel w/ water in it just before freeze up. Diesel treatment dispersed the ice enough that I could run for a while, then it petered out. The little in-line filter looked like it had cake frosting in it, twice. I replaced the large filter, too, just for grins. The air filters have not been touched, but I have not run in much dust. Maybe I should pull the outer one and have a look. j

skidsteer.ca

Ken: Good pt. Yes, fuel filters are new. I replaced about 3 sets this winter, as I got some fuel w/ water in it just before freeze up. Diesel treatment dispersed the ice enough that I could run for a while, then it petered out. The little in-line filter looked like it had cake frosting in it, twice. I replaced the large filter, too, just for grins. The air filters have not been touched, but I have not run in much dust. Maybe I should pull the outer one and have a look. j
Is there a filter restriction indicator for the air filters? If there is I'd let this be my guide on when to switch them. They to can cause a loss of power but it generally comes with some blackish smoke under hi loads. It is hard on the engine if they are restricted as the lack of air makes the engine run rich on fuel, and that increases combuston temps.
You may want to see if you can get a fuel filter for it that has a water drain on the bottom, many filter companys offer both. It sure is handy if you get into a water problem like you had.
If you filter has a drain, keep sampling it for water, to be sure you are all done with that problem. In fuel filters the second onin the system is oftem a much finer micron rating and in my experience needs changed more often then the primary fuel filter. (we monitor them with guages on our skidders)
Ken

OP
OP
J

jklingel

Is there a filter restriction indicator for the air filters? If there is I'd let this be my guide on when to switch them. They to can cause a loss of power but it generally comes with some blackish smoke under hi loads. It is hard on the engine if they are restricted as the lack of air makes the engine run rich on fuel, and that increases combuston temps.
You may want to see if you can get a fuel filter for it that has a water drain on the bottom, many filter companys offer both. It sure is handy if you get into a water problem like you had.
If you filter has a drain, keep sampling it for water, to be sure you are all done with that problem. In fuel filters the second onin the system is oftem a much finer micron rating and in my experience needs changed more often then the primary fuel filter. (we monitor them with guages on our skidders)
Ken
Not sure if there is a restriction indicator; maybe something shows up on the panel. I'll check the manual, and also see if I can get a filter w/ a clear bowl, like my boats; yes, very handy. Thanks. j

frank123

Not sure if there is a restriction indicator; maybe something shows up on the panel. I'll check the manual, and also see if I can get a filter w/ a clear bowl, like my boats; yes, very handy. Thanks. j
Sounds like you're getting things figured out, but just a thought I had: That 332 is a heavy machine compared to other brands, which helps give it great lift ability and pushing power. But combine that weight with the big aggressive 14" rubber, you're going to have a lot of bite, so when you get into limiting load, it's going to take a lot of juice to spin those tires, and you'll have to feather the controls a little. I notice it more on the CT's, that you have to operate a little differently, use the torque of the engine and push through the lever stroke more gradually as the load changes, but I think the same principle may apply here.

OP
OP
J

jklingel

Sounds like you're getting things figured out, but just a thought I had: That 332 is a heavy machine compared to other brands, which helps give it great lift ability and pushing power. But combine that weight with the big aggressive 14" rubber, you're going to have a lot of bite, so when you get into limiting load, it's going to take a lot of juice to spin those tires, and you'll have to feather the controls a little. I notice it more on the CT's, that you have to operate a little differently, use the torque of the engine and push through the lever stroke more gradually as the load changes, but I think the same principle may apply here.
Frank: Thanks. I feel the same way about those tires. The tread is still over an inch high, and the tires are flat, so in the silt it sure bites. I am sometimes getting it to spin, though, but still stall now and then when I have most of a bucket full and want to fill it to the max; it is hard to push 3/4 of a bucket of dirt into more dirt AND lift the bucket, AND/OR curl it. I am keeping an eye on doing too much at once, and have laid off the "stiff-arm sticks" a little bit when it hits the wall. Duh! That sure helps. I sometimes wish there were a Skid Steer 101 available; this learning on your own is slow and painful, but I am getting the thing to work real well.... once I laid off it a tad. That puppy sure does a lot of work; it makes me nauseous to have to get off and pick up a shovel or a rake now, and I've tried to run my wheel barrow over several times.