'89 Bobcat 743 control valve

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Tazza

Staff member
The (now leaking) front seal is relatively new, one of the lip-seals that I recently installed. I didn't disconnect that spool from the linkage when I next change the rear seal, so figured the front seal wouldn't be see a sharp groove or land on the spool going past it (the seal lip) when I moved the spool back-and-forth. However, I did move the spool rearward more than its normal travel, trying to make it easier to compress the big spring and get the detent plunger thread started, so am now hoping that DID disturb the front seal someway. If not, then the lip-seals are rapidly failing and I will have to change all to quads... ugh! After all this fussing, knowing now how everything is built, I think I might be able to change all the spool seals (to quads) without removing the engine, or much else in the rear area except the spool covers. I now know rear access is "good enough", and you can leave the detents assembled if you are careful in pulling out the spools. The front will be a bit more difficult, as the big hose from the reservoir will have to stay in place, can only be disconnected at the front and bent out of the way as much as possible. I say that hose has to stay in place because I see no way to get to the fitting at the reservoir except by removing the engine and fan shroud; or maybe loosening the reservoir and lifting it up, but I don't want to explore that new process! This poor beast has become like a race-car or helicopter, lots of oil loss and 10-20 hrs of maintenance/repair for every hour of use.
I have removed spools before without too much trouble, it wasn't fun, but i got it done. The hardest part was removing the linkages and then the allen headed bolts on the front.

OP
OP
B

billrbg

I have removed spools before without too much trouble, it wasn't fun, but i got it done. The hardest part was removing the linkages and then the allen headed bolts on the front.
I got it changed without removing the spool or disturbing the rear cover. I looked at the front for a few seconds, then drained the reservoir and moved the two hoses out of the way (disconnected one end only on each). I had to be brutal to the front seal (lip-seal) to get it out, but it looks to me like it "rolled" also. I'm hoping for the best, but kind of expecting I will have to remove all the spools and replace the lip-seals with quads; sooner-THAN-later... I think those lip seals don't have the right "aspect ratio" (thinking of them as a tire), they are "squarish" to fit where the quads used to be, and would be much more roll-resistant if they were more like a 40-50 series tire. My guess only, of course. Yeah those screws in the front are a real bear. Why couldn't they have, at least, put the ones close to the frame up on TOP where you would have a chance of seeing them??? I'll post again once I fire it up and see how long until another leak!

Tazza

Staff member
I got it changed without removing the spool or disturbing the rear cover. I looked at the front for a few seconds, then drained the reservoir and moved the two hoses out of the way (disconnected one end only on each). I had to be brutal to the front seal (lip-seal) to get it out, but it looks to me like it "rolled" also. I'm hoping for the best, but kind of expecting I will have to remove all the spools and replace the lip-seals with quads; sooner-THAN-later... I think those lip seals don't have the right "aspect ratio" (thinking of them as a tire), they are "squarish" to fit where the quads used to be, and would be much more roll-resistant if they were more like a 40-50 series tire. My guess only, of course. Yeah those screws in the front are a real bear. Why couldn't they have, at least, put the ones close to the frame up on TOP where you would have a chance of seeing them??? I'll post again once I fire it up and see how long until another leak!
The ones i have changed were all quad rings, wonder why they changed it on some models....
Lets hope it only needs to be done once more, then trouble free for a long while!

OP
OP
B

billrbg

The ones i have changed were all quad rings, wonder why they changed it on some models....
Lets hope it only needs to be done once more, then trouble free for a long while!
I ran it for another couple of hours... lost another couple of gallons of fluid; leaking out the front of one of the lower spools (tilt, I think). This was now three failures of the lip-seals, so I removed all spools and put quads on front and rear of all. I ran it for about another hour today (hydra-hammer) and had NO drips. I am *cautiously* optimistic that it is finally fixed. I was thinking of starting a new thread just to warn against using the lip-seals, regardless of what the FSM says. Does anybody want to see pictures of what the rolled/twisted lip-seals look like?