873 leaking fluid

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Hello all, I just bought a 2001 Bobcat 873G. It started leaking from the inner right rear tire area. Does anyone know if this is possibly just a seal gone bad that i can replace?

Tazza

Staff member
IMG_1863.HEIC The puddle behind the tire is the leaking fluid...
It should just be the seal.
Check the chain case oil level, if it's being filled frm the hydraulic system, that will need tending to as well.
Getting the axle hub off can be hard, so be warned. What i do is:
Jack the rear up, remove the trye, loosen the axle bolt(s) from the end of the axle. You only need a few turns as you will be hitting the heads with a hammer. Use twe hydraulic jacks behind the hub, between it and the frame, pump sude down. Pump them up to put load on the hub. Hit the axle bolt heads with a hammer to break the taper seal. It can be really hard to get them free, so be warned. You can try hitting the hib with a big hammer, keeping the bolts in will stop it fling across the shop floor when it lets go.
Like i said, some can be a nightmare, others will pop free fairly easily.
With the hub off, drill two small holes in the seal, careful not to go too deep and hit the bearing inside. Screw in self tapping screws and lever the seal out with pliers. Clean the metal shavings out, tap a new seal in and you are good.
Hopefully that will get you through it.