873 G series HELP

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Siteworx

Hey guys! I need some help from the experts. I have a 2000 model 873 with 2600 hrs on it. It was serviced about 90 hrs ago and and has been running great. I bought the machine with 2500 hrs on it and was not sure what the timing belt looked like so I had it replaced too. It actually looked pretty new when we pulled it out so it had been replaced. In the last month the engine has started running rough at times. When this happens it loses power and starts smoking. It is black smoke and sounds like it is hitting on 3 cylinders. I can stop the machine and let it run for a minute and it will clear up. Some days it will never do this.. I am very concerned and looking for help. I have checked the air filter but it is clean. I checked the fuel by draining the filter and no water or trash that I can see. What kills me is that it is not happening all the time. Please help me out if you have any idea. I run off-road diesel in all my equipment so I don't think it is water in the fuel. Thanks Mike

Tazza

Staff member
Have you changed the fuel filter too?
My first thought was timing may be out, but as you said some days it runs right, that isn't timing as once it moves, it shouldn't go back.
One other thing is the turbo, ensure it's free moving and no shaft play.
Black smoke is generally excessive fuel or incomplete combustion.

shankatank58

Have you changed the fuel filter too?
My first thought was timing may be out, but as you said some days it runs right, that isn't timing as once it moves, it shouldn't go back.
One other thing is the turbo, ensure it's free moving and no shaft play.
Black smoke is generally excessive fuel or incomplete combustion.
sounds like a sticky injector.

OP
OP
S

Siteworx

sounds like a sticky injector.
OK so I have a little more information today. My mechanic came over yesterday evening and looked at the machine. I ran it and as soon as it started sputtering I shut it down. He started with the fuel filter and worked his way to the injectors. With the machine running he cracked each injector and noticed the machine ran rough each time. So he says its probably not the injectors. He also checked the turbo and it seems fine. After checking a lot of stuff he wanted me to run the machine some more. I ran it for about 30 minutes with no issues and than it started the sputter again. Once again he checked the injectors with the same results. So his final thought is that the valves probably need adjusting. He said it should be done every 1000 hrs. So he is going to come back this weekend and adjust them. What do you guys think about this??? Could it really be the valves? Have I hurt the motor by running it??? Thanks Mike

Tazza

Staff member
OK so I have a little more information today. My mechanic came over yesterday evening and looked at the machine. I ran it and as soon as it started sputtering I shut it down. He started with the fuel filter and worked his way to the injectors. With the machine running he cracked each injector and noticed the machine ran rough each time. So he says its probably not the injectors. He also checked the turbo and it seems fine. After checking a lot of stuff he wanted me to run the machine some more. I ran it for about 30 minutes with no issues and than it started the sputter again. Once again he checked the injectors with the same results. So his final thought is that the valves probably need adjusting. He said it should be done every 1000 hrs. So he is going to come back this weekend and adjust them. What do you guys think about this??? Could it really be the valves? Have I hurt the motor by running it??? Thanks Mike
The test on the injectors was a good idea, you loosen the fuel line and it takes that injector out, so if there is no change, that is the issue.
I don't see any damage if the valves need adjusting, they need to be really out to be damaged, and i'd suspect it would be running bad, if at all if they were damaged.
It's worth a try, if something was really wrong, it would be running bad all the time i'd think.

OP
OP
S

Siteworx

The test on the injectors was a good idea, you loosen the fuel line and it takes that injector out, so if there is no change, that is the issue.
I don't see any damage if the valves need adjusting, they need to be really out to be damaged, and i'd suspect it would be running bad, if at all if they were damaged.
It's worth a try, if something was really wrong, it would be running bad all the time i'd think.
So the valves have been adjusted. They were out of adjustment a little but not terrible. The problem is still there so I'm not sure what is next. I guess injectors may be the issue.

Tazza

Staff member
So the valves have been adjusted. They were out of adjustment a little but not terrible. The problem is still there so I'm not sure what is next. I guess injectors may be the issue.
It's about all that is left isn't it? Injectors or the injector pumps... The issue is working out what one is at fault.

OP
OP
S

Siteworx

It's about all that is left isn't it? Injectors or the injector pumps... The issue is working out what one is at fault.
Something else to add is when it is running rough I can idle the machine down and after about 1 minute of idle you can actually hear the engine clear up and it will run like new. It has to be a fuel issue right??

Tazza

Staff member
Something else to add is when it is running rough I can idle the machine down and after about 1 minute of idle you can actually hear the engine clear up and it will run like new. It has to be a fuel issue right??
It really does sound fuel related.
I'd setup a remote fuel supply, take out everything you can to make it as simple as possible. It could be a lift pump issue, the inside of the fuel line could be coming apart, blocking the flow.

dfb4408

I'd setup a remote fuel supply, take out everything you can to make it as simple as possible. It could be a lift pump issue, the inside of the fuel line could be coming apart, blocking the flow.
Were also looking to buy 873G low hours but when we test drove it had noticeable smoke and black areas on booms and smell of diesel. Motor ran fine seem to rev up higher than 873 now have. Did Bobcat make any changes on fuel setup from early to late 873's? What are your thoughts?

OP
OP
S

Siteworx

I replaced the injector that was suspect. Once I got everything back together I ran the machine and it ran perfect. So yesterday I used it around the farm for about 4 hrs and had no issues. Today I was putting round bales out and the miss came back. So I idled it down and it cleared up like before. This gets me to thinking that at about 3/4 throttle is where I normally run the machine so I tried running it wide open. After a few minutes it started again and it was bad. So I idled back down for it to clear and ran the machine at about 1/2 throttle. I noticed that running the machine at 1/2 throttle it does not do have the miss. So I am not sure now but it makes me think it is the injection pump. What do you think

sstec

I replaced the injector that was suspect. Once I got everything back together I ran the machine and it ran perfect. So yesterday I used it around the farm for about 4 hrs and had no issues. Today I was putting round bales out and the miss came back. So I idled it down and it cleared up like before. This gets me to thinking that at about 3/4 throttle is where I normally run the machine so I tried running it wide open. After a few minutes it started again and it was bad. So I idled back down for it to clear and ran the machine at about 1/2 throttle. I noticed that running the machine at 1/2 throttle it does not do have the miss. So I am not sure now but it makes me think it is the injection pump. What do you think
As TAZ said, remote fuel supply. did this with my 873F. . . . . ended up being the pick-up tube and sock filter in the tank . . . . . . sstec